Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you are roleplayers?

Big RPGer here, 29 years with the pen and Paper [im 38 and gamed since i was 10] started with Red Box DnD but the first campaign i ran was inspired by steve jackson & ian Livingstons Warlock of Firetop Mountain and the world source book they did Titan. Played heavy through teens at school and then found 2 regular groups , one ran Rolemaster and the Other DnD. also have played Carwars as an RPG , Robotech , Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Top Secret [this was big at High School] But DnD is my all time. Have a great group now that has been together for 8 years now playing every Friday bar a few in that time, we mainly play Dragonlance but also Forgotten Realms. play alot of 3.5 but we still play 2nd edition Ad&d the most. My wife is very understanding and has played in many a campaign, my daughter has tried but its not for her but my son has been playing on and of with us since he was about 7 , he is now 12 and is a great RPer, he even RPs a Gnome on World of Warcraft, i too am on an RP realm in WoW. so yer MASSIVE RPGer HERE.

EDIT: Fantastic to read about other RPers here, the Experiance every one brings to the tables is outstanding
    Last edited by Vorhees; 08-29-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Sadly I have only experienced web RP's. Not any real group or such. Heck, not even a VVT group.

RPGing for around 30 years. My best friend told me about this game he played briefly with some kid in one of his classes and he wound up being swallowed by the floor. I was confused, "What? How's that work?" and there I went. Started out buying the DnD Basic boxed set and those old soap looking dice that came with it Played that every time we had a chance. Started gradually moving into the Advanced stuff but then switched over to Boot Hill, Top Secret, Gamma World and Star Frontiers. There were others like Paranoia but then I found GURPS where I could play whatever genre I wanted and that was it.

We used to take turns playing GM but it seems like I was always more willing to put in the time building the worlds so I tended towards being the GM more and more. I always loved the fantasy genre but really wanted to do a space universe. I started gathering the source books for this and realized that i was going to have to create tons of planets just to fill the universe and who knew if they would ever even visit them? Combine that with the fact that as we got older we just didn't have as much time to play around I ended up reducing it down to a single planet and creating my own mish-mash of futuristic post apocalyptic fantasy world. I always liked fantasy but I want it to have a scientific under layer for why that dude with the staff can create a shield around himself or why that guy can fling a fireball (It's more like a wet grenade). Anyway I know you where not asking for our self made worlds so I'll drop it there.

Every now and then we play some Star Wars (D20 I think) in which I get to be a player. I think I prefer to be the Game Master however. I just wish we got to play more than a couple times a year.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I started to play RPG's in the '80s when the first swedish game was released (Drakar och Demoner (Dragons and demons in english)) and continued to play for about ten years. I mostly played different swedish games but also tried to play in the warhammer fantasy world as well. Unfortunately my group split because of a lot of different reasons so nowadays I'm creating worlds instead. But me and my brother are going to pick it up with my 9 year old son. So hopefully there will be a game close to christmas
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Cool, a lot of gamers on here. I kind of expected that there are some of us around

It seems DnD is still the Master of rules, at least sales-wise. I started with DSA (Das schwarze Auge) a long time ago, when the english language was not at my disposal. We then switched to ADnD 2nd Ed. (also in german) and played that almost exclusively for a long time. After I learned english in school, i started to look around for other mechanics and settings and found tons of it on the english market (that was like the treasure-cave of an old wyrm for me ). Since then i tried out a lot of different settings and mechanics and as mentioned in the OP i love dicepool best for resolution. Nowadays i tinker with settings and mechanics on my own but so far i haven't found "my perfect system" .
    I am a total fantasy nut. Sci Fi somehow never clicked for me, at least not pure sci fi. We tried some Star Wars, and i love the setting, but imho SW is more fantasy than Sci Fi anyway...so there you have it

If i could map as well (electronically) as some of you, I'd map a lot more, i guess...but alas i am not very talented with all those softwares (also, too lazy to truly sit down and really really learn one of those softwares).

Anyway, fortunately, i have found this place here and many of you are very generous people so i was allowed to steal some maps and brushes for my own uses. Thanks for that!

Oh and if you want to talk about your homemade setting, go on. I always like to hear about settings and their histories (if you have it on here or somewhere else on the i-net, feel free to link to it, so that we can take a look).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Cool, a lot of gamers on here. I kind of expected that there are some of us around

It seems DnD is still the Master of rules, at least sales-wise...
    There's some suggestions/evidence that Paizo might be leading sales-wise with Pathfinder over DnD, at least based on 2 quarters of the ICv2 report. (While this report is only from hobby store channel rather than the whole market.) We can't really say that WotC is still on top. Also several major hobby stores around the US claim similar results separate from the report - though this too is not conclusive. Although if WotC is not the sales leader, they certainly are sitting in a strong number 2 position.

Many industry bloggers, and Paizo itself was touting Pathfinder as the industry leading RPG, at least during Gen Con 2011.

GP

PS: my homebrew setting is a released product in the form of a 3 part introductory mini-campaign, as well as several supplements for the Pathfinder RPG, as an imprint publication under Rite Publishing. Many of my more recent maps, including this month's challenge entry is for use in that setting - Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story - think a cross between Oriental Adventures and Ravenloft (not exactly, but close.)
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-30-2011 at 12:13 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

You might want to give Savage Worlds a try. while it is not a dice pool, the rules are fairly simple plus the rules require no changes to move from one genre to another(in terms of base mechanics). The things that change are equipment and some skills. There is also a free test drive pdf on their site so you can get a good overview of the game before you purchase(and even then, the base rule book is only $10..settings rule books cost more but are not strictly required)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    You might want to give Savage Worlds a try. while it is not a dice pool, the rules are fairly simple plus the rules require no changes to move from one genre to another(in terms of base mechanics). The things that change are equipment and some skills. There is also a free test drive pdf on their site so you can get a good overview of the game before you purchase(and even then, the base rule book is only $10..settings rule books cost more but are not strictly required)
    I'm doing some commission work for Savage Mojo Games, that's my only connection to Savage Worlds - though no guarantee that I'd actually play. I'm not looking for another fantasy RPG, my current game works fine for my needs.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I'm doing some commission work for Savage Mojo Games, that's my only connection to Savage Worlds - though no guarantee that I'd actually play. I'm not looking for another fantasy RPG, my current game works fine for my needs.
    Sorry I did not specify GP.. my reply was for the original poster(Eilathen) since he said he has not found his "perfect" system as of yet.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Played various versions of D&D, Rolemaster & a few others from junior high right thru until I got married. No time for them now unfortunately.

We tried Powers & Perils in college, I think it had potential, but never really seemed to catch on.
    Last edited by Steel General; 08-31-2011 at 08:35 AM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast