Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How many of you are roleplayers?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

not quite the same as good-ol-pen-n-paper, but everything counts (in small amounts) - have 1-2 games a month ... remember the good ol days where I played everyday
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Like most of you, I have been in AD&D in my university years, but i began with mostly the 2-kinds of game that had "good" reputation in France in the 90's : the Rifts Multiverse (too much of giant-glittering-robots-vs-magic-one-eyed-monsters, in my opinion) and Vampire : the Masquerade (you know, the sort of vampire that do not SPARKLE). I also played many board games, like Space Crusade and Warhammer 40k, but am really a pen and paper roleplayer.

Mapping has always been involved because i always found it easier to give players a visual for their moves (and, later, for long-distances travels). In the late 90's, i made a game of my own because the others lacked the "adventure" spirit i was seeking. All my maps since this time are dedicated to this game, even if i don't play anymore (lacking of players...). It has become a good support for writing my novels, now.

As i think of it, many cartographers are roleplayers, but how many cartographers-roleplayers are also writers (or just pretend to be, like me) ?

I'm no writer, honestly. I like inventing ideas and concepts, but I'm too lazy at writing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yep, writing on a book at the moment actually
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Gerenan's Avatar

I must admit, I haven't read all the posts in this thread. I read the first and skimmed through some of the others.

But I can say that I am a role-player. And a proud one (ain't we all =P). I'm even able to live on this fantastic hobby.

I've played RPGs since I was 6 years old, but started game mastering at the age of 9 and have played ever since. I started to create my world Nianze at the age of 11. This though, as one would expect was quite a bad world xD, so I renovated it the summer of 2004. The concepts changed and I transferred - or rather translated - the played out events of the previous world to this, smaller more manageable world, and made it into the prophecy which everything revolves around.

My players (the same since 2003, with some dropouts and some new additions), have been with me and helped me develop the rule-system as well as some of the history they've created with me as their game master. In 2006, I managed to get this world building project to become a profit and role-playing became something more than a hobby. Me and my players have taken role-playing to a depth which many others in our city and contact thinks is to exaggerate role-playing. We play about 2 to 3 times a week regularly and continues to develop the world.

No, pen and paper RPG is my life and probably will continue like that. =)

Guild Novice

Started with D&D (Blue Box) back in the 70's. Played everything released by TSR in the 80's. GURPS, Traveller (pre 3rd), White Wold (pre world of dimness) and I collected just about everything I could get my hands on. I referred to myself as a "World Collector" more than once in the 80' and 90's. These days my wife and I play Anime-esque games like Maid, BESM (and variants), and sometimes GURPS. I have Boxes of maps from Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Dragonlance, Spelljammer, and even Harn. Merp/Rolemaster I collected but never really had a chance to actually play. Online MMO's and CRPG's have taken the forefront in my gaming (Elder Scrolls and LotRo especially). Now that I have a decent mapping program and the background (CAD) to not be utterly lost, things are looking up.
    (Forgot to mention Bubblegum Crisis, Cyberpunk 2020 and Cyber Generation which were a major portion of my early 2k gaming. Still used plenty of maps.)

Guild Member Facebook Connected

I've been involved in every type of roleplaying you can probably think of. Of course, I've played the classic RPG video games like Final Fantasy religiously in the past, been a big MMO player back in the day with Ultima Online and more recently with Atlantica Online until I quit yesterday. I'm probably going to be getting into Star Wars: The Old Republic when my finances allow

But I've also been involved in some tabletop RPG such as Dungeons & Dragons and some geofiction-style RP at The Otherworld Project. I've also enjoyed creating RPGs in the past, which is one of things that brought me to this site.

Mostly D&D and WoD for me, but I tend to move across the country every couple of years - so finding groups has been a bit of a pain. Recently moved back to where an old group was, and so I am now designing a campaign for us to start again. Hence me finding this place . . .

I've been roleplaying since the late 70's-early 80's. I don't remember what version of D&D we used at the time, but my friends and I did start a club in our high school and I recently found a picture of the club in an old yearbook that made me
    rotfl. The dm at the time poured a lot of effort into the game and set up a great gaming area in his parent's basement. It was the first time any of us had used miniatures (old school metal ones). That gaming experience has stuck with me all the years since. I currently run my own campaign using D&D 4e, but will probably backtrack a little and incorporate some of the d20 rules.

Started with the Blue Box D&D set that my wife gave me for Christmas in 1979, and have been playing ever since. Mostly 1st and 2nd ed AD&D. Past 3 years we have been playing 2nd ed Spelljammer.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast