Thread: Yet another Attempt? Skaya, WIP

Default Yet another Attempt? Skaya, WIP

Yet again another attempt... I originally was gonna make a city map for the world of Skaya.. But, I realized it needed an overall map.
    C&C Is welcome and criticism is recommended.

Latest:

Oh and thank you Ascension for all the tuts!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's what I'm here for, man. I think your archipelago looks a little too formal - needs more scattering or size variation or something. Looks good otherwise (of course I'd say that, though. )
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The reason it looks so formal.. IS because well.. It was originally a peninsula the spanned out all that lake. But a fight with gods.. Badda bing badda boom and walla A firegod fell to Skaya and shattered it into that spreading the pieces everywhere.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sure, I understand the "broken land" thing, I use it all the time myself. What I'm getting at is that the spacing between the islands is all about the same, too regulated, and the islands themselves are all about the same size and shape. If you dig it then fine but I'd make things much more varied to really push that "broken into bits" feel...like broken glass doesn't all break into the same size (unless it's tempered glass). Make some big islands and some small islands, big gaps and little gaps. Shrug.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I have to agree with Big A. Other than that, it looks good though. Although I do wish there was a bigger image...

Oh! If you want a bigger image.. Hell, let me upload it somewhere.. Oh and 1 pixel = 2 miles.. I know its a huge landmass, thats the point of it somewhat.. So if theres alot of things that wouldn't be realistic.. Please tell me. And the rivers are actually that huge

http://evile-eagle.deviantart.com/ar...-WIP-256130791

If you want to see the full version click download..
    Last edited by eViLe_eAgLe; 09-01-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

The island spacing/size/etc. seems to be much less of an issue in that big-ass version. I think I just notice right off the bat in the thumbnail.

Hehehe..