Thread: Hello! I'm excited to share my first map :)

Map Hello! I'm excited to share my first map :)

Here's the first real map I've made from scrath. I used the demo version (sigh) of Dundjinni to create the grass and trees and the curved road and water (I haven't figured out how to do that in Dungeon Demon, Dungeon crafter etc). Then I used GIMP to add some more trees, the tents, wagons and horses. Also did the shading in GIMP.

I'm very open to advice, so please let me know if you see anything I can improve upon!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vistani encampment.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	973.8 KB 
ID:	38087

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the guild ROB_IN_MN!

Very nice first map too! I really like Dundjinni though I don't use it myself (I do peruse their user-art forums a lot however). If you are looking for critique/advice, the best I could suggest would be to apply a blur, unfocus, dented, or combination thereof filter to the rocky area underneath the water, to help distort the texture and make it seem more underwater.

Something else that might be nice is if you could rotate the brighter green deciduous trees so the shadowed side of each tree is facing away from the light-sources.
    Last edited by Wannabehero; 08-30-2011 at 02:10 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild, and congratz on your first map. If I should advice you anything it would be to work on minimizing tiling of graphics, and perhaps smoothing out some of the "rough edges" on the ground and water to make it easier on the eye.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for the advice!

I'm not realy sure how to smooth out the transitions between the water and ground, I've found some tips online that i have to try out. I think I had a limited number of tiles since I was using the demo version of dundjinni, so hopefully my tiling issues will go away

I found myself a copy of dundjinni on e-bay! Score!

I like the placement of the huts and light sources (camp fires). You've got good potential...
    Blog: Too much game lore? | Diablo 3 guest passes
    Riftforge: (WIP) Map of Rift Isle, protected by elite raiders ( Play now }

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now I don't know what Gimp can do, but I'd suggest perhaps a blur, perhaps some clouds to change the coloring more randomly.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I'll have to look into this blurring effect. I haven't tried it yet. I think Gimp can do that. I really like Gimp, it's cool. glad it's free!