Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for prices, for a rpg wolrd map

Guild Journeyer

Default looking for prices, for a rpg wolrd map

hi all!
    a friend of mine is writing a rpg world (D&D like), and ask me for prices.
    he want a world map, "realistic style" (dont know if thats the name of this style, but its like this: http://magbhitu.deviantart.com/art/B...+rpg+map&qo=80)

he is just "looking the market", so im just asking for prices. (the book he is writing is going for sale here in brazil, eventually).

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, if you have the programs mentioned I'm guessing it is an easier job than handpainting it. Can't give you a price though
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Well, if you have the programs mentioned I'm guessing it is an easier job than handpainting it. Can't give you a price though
    sorry, i didnt understand. what programs?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The link mentions that the artist for that map used 3ds max, world machine, and photoshop. If you are proficient with the first 2 programs, the 3d ones, then you could do this fairly quick. If not, then it will take months to learn. As for pricing, estimate how much time you think it will take you, then double that time. Then multiply that time by how much you want to charge per hour to do it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I might be misreading the OP but I think it's asking how much one can expect to pay for such a map, rather than be paid for making it?

yes, you are correct, ravells!
    sorry guys, if i didnt make myself clear, but i want to know how much one would charge for a map lke that (or in ravells words, "how much one can expect to pay fo such map")

well.. it really depends on the map maker's skill and experience. If he want's something that looks EXACTLY like that but with different geography is going to require more experience than something in a similar "style". Likewise, someone with more skill and how is in demand can charge higher prices. Assuming you are asking what YOU should charge, thats up to how long it would take you to do the work and how much you feel your time is worth. Of course, some people who have little commission work might also charge cheaper to get their portfolio build up... So really, there IS no standard pay.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Assuming you are asking what YOU should charge,.. .
    no, not me. i cant do maps
    just wanted to know how much others would charge

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

there are unfortunately many factors as jfrazierjr says. The more popular the artist the higher a price he can charge, also depending on where one lives in the world the hourly rate might differ a lot. Then you have people who doesn't have much to do and thus might lower their usual prices, or people just starting out and willing to take any job for any price. Of course, quality has an effect here as well. So I guess putting the job out there might be the only real way to know
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

In my limited experience it seems almost better if you can give an idea of what your budget for the work is. Artists are, as far as I can tell, pretty terrible at getting paid what they are worth...as evidenced by how much more valuable they become once they are dead and someone else takes over pricing their work. However, if you had say 10 bucks to give for something that will determine what you are going to get in most cases. The experienced artists will not likely want to bother with a 10 dollar commission unless it's something that they feel strongly about or have idle time and cabin fever. Sometimes a person is just in a great mood and will do such things but chances are you will get someone who is up and coming.

If you did get an established artist to do it for 10 dollars you will likely get a 10 dollar map. In other words, if he or she usually gets 20 bucks an hour you should expect a 30 minute map.

On the other hand if say you had hundreds of dollars for the budget you might find out just how detailed your artist can get.

Once again, you have to remember it's art and art prices are all over the place. Are there exceptions? You bet. Post your budget and see how much response you get.

Personally, I can't help it, if you want me to do something I can barely stand I want more money for it. If it's something I'm totally into I will stay up all night for peanuts (I am trying to get over this though).
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 09-02-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: pathetic puncuation - sorry
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast