Thread: Gurhana

Professional Artist

Post Gurhana

Hey all,
    I've finished the Gurhana map for my atlas and posted it below. This means there is only one more map to do for the continent of Jalaun, the production of which I plan on going into quite a bit of detail on. I will start up a new thread in the WIP area for it as soon as I have something going.

This map has a few neat spots on it, like the Maland Muhan Ridge, which is a walled-in ridge between deep, jungled canyons, with a very high population density; and Ngyurraih, which is one of the few towns on Sorol populated entirely by Myaurr (the race of tiger-people who rule over most of Jalaun but are vastly outnumbered by humans living there).

-Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gurhana.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	2542  

Damn Rob... those "relief" links got me really hooked... down for some serious training! See the WIP section and tell me what you think.

Man, Rob--you are tireless! I want to be you when (and if) I grow up.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Most impressive indeed...another beautiful map.

Such a realistic, technical map really makes it feel like a real place. Your attention to detail is amazing.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Been looking through your maps and I really like the technical "atlas" look. The maps are really detailed with lots of rivers and a lot of towns (and villages?).

I have only a few complaints - I'd add alot more lakes, especially in the mountain areas! Also, in some areas, the rivers seems to run a bit strange - especially in some rocky regions.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I love the atlas style as well, great looking real-world feel, well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    I have only a few complaints - I'd add alot more lakes, especially in the mountain areas! Also, in some areas, the rivers seems to run a bit strange - especially in some rocky regions.
    Hmm? I don't really seem to see a problem with the rivers here. Now the Western Kanwata map has something confusing where the Mogopo and Simpopo rivers seem to be connected at the Nan-du-Sugami, just ESE of 76ºE 26ºS. I presume this is just a problem of scale, and the two rivers are separated by a narrow neck of steep ridge.

By the way Rob, how do you work out the location of streams? Do you use some sort of software modeling, or do you just try to approximate by hand and eye?

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    Hmm? I don't really seem to see a problem with the rivers here. Now the Western Kanwata map has something confusing where the Mogopo and Simpopo rivers seem to be connected at the Nan-du-Sugami, just ESE of 76ºE 26ºS. I presume this is just a problem of scale, and the two rivers are separated by a narrow neck of steep ridge.
    Yup. Nan-du-Sugami is a volcano, and both of those rivers begin on its flanks.

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    By the way Rob, how do you work out the location of streams? Do you use some sort of software modeling, or do you just try to approximate by hand and eye?
    It's all done by feel; I have a general idea where the major rivers will go, and the minor rivers are drawn in starting at areas with high relief and flowing to areas with low relief.
    -Rob