Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is easier? Computer or Hand?

Default Which is easier? Computer or Hand?

I was having an argument with a friend because she said that the "computer does it for you." When i reality, you draw it yourself on the computer and shade it. And even with filters you have to be smart and intuitive enough to figure a good way out to do something.

It depends. If you can actually draw (which you can, I know) sometimes what you can do by hand, beats what can be done on computer. On the other hand, if you're using a drawing tablet, then you can achieve hand-drawn work straight into a computer as a work-around.

In the past, I've tried to create some semi-realistic maps with 3D apps. The problem is trying to apply a complex texture after creating a complex 3D model is terribly time-consuming. Sometimes the kind of detail I want, I can do infinitely faster by hand than trying to do that in 3D.

For those who aren't artists, hand-drawing is out of the question. So if you can draw, why avoid it? It depends on the style you want and the results you need...

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

My wife and I used to have this discussion back when we got married (coming up on 21 years). Back then I was mucking about with Deluxe Paint and some really rudimentary 3D apps (POVray and the precursor to trueSpace). I think she has changed her tune after all of these years, finally accepting digital art as being just as valid as traditional. Tell your friend that if she ever finds an app that enables the "computer to do it for me" to please send me a purchase link...I want that program. It just isn't so.
    M

Congragulations for 21 years!
    And as for the topic.. I told her that the only thing that really shades for you is lighting effects and even that can't do everything.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Alex's Avatar

Computer. Why? Because if you mess up, there's this thing called edit. There's also a easier way to make your work look good, or realistic. If you don't have paint or have run out, that's cool -- Photoshop or Corel will do that for ya! Oh no, did you lose that sketch you had!? Did you spill something on it!? Oh don't worry you! You scanned it in, remember? You're safe for now.

The only problem is that it takes more out of you to figure out how to use the software, how to use the filters, layers, tools etc etc. But in the end, its much easier on the PC than with hand.

That being said, I think computer is easier. But nothing beats drawing it by hand. Its just so much better, and fun, I think!
    Last edited by Alex; 09-01-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think hand is easier but with caveats. Things like patterns, flood fills, and filters would take a long time by hand so the computer makes that part easier...and the undo button and layers. But when I draw it's easier to draw by hand on paper because there's a disconnect when using a tablet if you're not using a Cintiq.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I agree with the above posts. But the thing I am talking about is.. Take mountains in ISO for instance. Theres no auto-feature to shade it automatically (not counting brushes or stamps.) You have to shade it manually. Talking about like that.
    Last edited by eViLe_eAgLe; 09-01-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the thing to remember is that, no matter the tool, pencil or computer, it is you that vield it. Its not like people say, yeah that colored drawing you made looks cool, but you had an easier job cause you used markers, try using paint, thats what a real artist uses. ... we accept that new tools are helping us do things easier and faster. Like a drawing compass making circles for you for instance - one would never look down at you for using that.
    So we use the tools at hand, be it a tablet, a mouse or a pencil. The computer aids us with some shading and texturing and more important: layers and undo ... so many times when I've been painting (acryllic on canvas) I've wished for an undo button *lol*

so to sum up: no - the computer doesn't do it for you - it aids you and that goes not only for photoshop but in all walks of life... Word don't write your novells, Excell doesn't do your accounting etc etc
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

It's all about what you put into it. Excel can't do your finances for you - you can set it up to assist you, but it will still only put out what you put into it.. and if you get someone else to write up a spreadsheet, you're done for if your needs change and you can't get ahold of that person to change it - better to learn how to set it up yourself. Photoshop is a great tool for working with photos and creating images, but it will only look as good as the effort you put into learning how to use it. Paper is a wonderful medium, but you need to practice drawing in order to understand how to draw what you want to draw. Wood chisels and walking staves - wow they can turn out nice, but only if you develop the skills to work with it (and callouses, ouch).

The medium doesn't matter. It's the vision of the artist, and the effort that's put into learning to work with the tools of choice (or necessity).

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by eViLe_eAgLe View Post
    I agree with the above posts. But the thing I am talking about is.. Take mountains in ISO for instance. Theres no auto-feature to shade it automatically (not counting brushes or stamps.) You have to shade it manually. Talking about like that.
    A wise man once said (paraphrase): "the best way to make something look hand drawn is to draw it by hand"

Now.. for me... I don't do any paper drawing... I am just to darn used to undo and layers, but still "hand drawn" shading shows through in your work, so get a decent tablet and do it yourself...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast