Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - My first map - The Town of Kelburn

Guild Novice

Default WIP - My first map - The Town of Kelburn

This is a recreation of an old hand drawn map from a D&D campaign from 20+ years ago. I am just learning how to use CC3/CD3 and this is my first map aside from the GREAT tutorial Gandwarf made.

There were a couple of contoured areas on my hand drawn map that I could not figure out how to represent in CD3, so still working on that. I'm also just learning how to create and edit sheets, so hopefully this will get better as time goes on.

Oh, and the numbered locations - I could not figure out how to communicate those aside from an additional key page... suggestions please!

* I tried to edit the walls sheet to decrease the walls shadow from 15 to around 8, but CD3 kept crashing each time I tried...

Any and all feedback is welcome.

/cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kelburn.JPG 
Views:	272 
Size:	415.8 KB 
ID:	38200  
    Last edited by Alorin Dawn; 08-31-2011 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like that you kept some trees in the village, so many just cut them all down. Looks like a nice place to me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looking good. The shadows give it a nice sense of depth.

I like it!

One nitpick I see is that the numbers are kinda hard to read. Perhaps make it just black text, or reduce the brightness of the glow that you have now.

Also, the grass and water could use more of a texture. Right now it is kinda too uniform, and looks too perfect, in my opinion.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure how to make the grass look less uniform. I want to figure out how to get the brushstroke looks like the ones on the fantasic Littlebridge map. Still so much to learn...

Please continue to provide feedback!

great map overall. I do agree that numbers are too hard to read, but other than that, it looks great!

I don't use CD3, but I have read that many people use GIMP or other software to do the labeling with. I would recommend that myself too, 'cause I imagine it offers more control over the font and styles.

The town itself though looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I don't use CD3, but I have read that many people use GIMP or other software to do the labeling with. I would recommend that myself too, 'cause I imagine it offers more control over the font and styles.

The town itself though looks great!
    Yes, very nice map Alorin!

I do find myself using GIMP more and more for CC3 post-work. You can get some really nice effects with text labeling in CC3 alone, but doing the labeling in GIMP instead can really make a big difference.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Guild Novice

Can anyone tell me how to represent a hill or landrise in CD3?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I like that you kept some trees in the village, so many just cut them all down. Looks like a nice place to me.
    Seconded! The trees in the town are a nice idea!
    Last edited by Kelron; 09-10-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast