Thread: Home made map projections

Default Home made map projections

I haven't been on in a while, since I've been dealing with school starting, but I have a question. Does anyone else ever consider making their own projection for mapping? I'm currently working on a projection that allows for a regular scale over latitude and longitude. I'm sure it's one that has actually been made and named, but I want to figure it out on my own.

Does anyone else do this?

Guild Journeyer

I choose my projection parameters, but the projections themselves are always known ones.
    I am a geology nerd.

Sounds like an interesting thought experiment. Closest thing I can think of off the top of my head is an azimuthal equidistant projection, but that's only constant scale through the center point. I think.

Personally, I don't have the math skills. Plus G.Projector's got so many projections the problem is choosing between them.

Guild Journeyer

So you want scale to be correct on all meridians and all parallels? I'm not sure that's possible. To give all parallels correct scale, meridians need to be closer together at the poles than at the equator. That means the meridians cannot be all identical on the map, meaning they cannot all have correct scale.
    I am a geology nerd.

I haven't heard of G.Projector, but I'll be sure to look it up.

This is very good thread. I enjoyed reading this thread.