Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Atlas Walkthrough [Fractal Terrains & Illustrator]

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I have an only slightly newer version of FT. When I save a "view" it makes me use a CC2 Setting as part of the export. The setting is inside of Fractal Terrains.

During your export do you Screen Capture? Or export views? or export numbers of files to cover your region?
    All I do is go File > Save, and use .jpg as my file type. I don't think my version supports views...

Hope this helps!
    -Rob

Thanks, It actually helped a lot.

I needed to use a different option in the program

Step 7. The Graticule
    Unfortunately, I don't know of an easier or more accurate way to do this step. To get a nice grid of latitude and longitude lines, I turn on the graticule image I created in FT way back at the beginning, and trace it with the pen tool. I really wish I knew of a better way to handle this step, but I don't.
    I exported a completely white layer beneath the graticule for the selection. No shading, white everything. Then I used the photoshop magic eraser to erase everything that was white and saved it as a PNG (preserves transparency)

I'm using this file instead of the JPG and its seems to work very well.

Sigurd.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 03-29-2008 at 10:14 AM.

Professional Artist

Good idea, Sigurd. I prefer to keep my graticule in vector format however, so I would still be tracing it anyway.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRob View Post
    Good idea, Sigurd. I prefer to keep my graticule in vector format however, so I would still be tracing it anyway.

-Rob
    Absolutely, but the JPG isn't vector and the PNG is transparent to make tracing simpler.

I'm (grudgingly) still keeping Illustrator in the loop to have vector roads and such and then the graticule might as well be vector.

Sigurd

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

Can I just say I'm going to die if I figure out how to make these maps
    "The Enemy's Gate Is Down" - Ender Wiggen, Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

Software Used- ME v16, My Hands 1.0, My Brain

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRob View Post
    I have these layers (attached!)
    Were you referring to just the picture or did you mean to attach a PSD file? It sounds like you are referring to an attached PSD, but there isn't one so I just wanted to make sure it didn't get dropped or something.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm using 2.3 and when I save file as jpg for the second image...the shading doesn't come out.

I have land and water color both as white...highest peak and sea level also as white...colors as 2...shaded checked...

the screen looks correct, but the saved jpg is basically all white with nothing on it but rivers.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I also get a crash when I save with a grid...any form of grid save no matter the resolution crashes my FT...Joe? Any thoughts?
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

The crash when saving images with a grid active is an error that crept into V2.3. The lack of shading on JPG files has been there for a while longer. There is a version of 2.3 that fixes the crash with grid error but ProFantasy hasn't distributed it. Both of these errors will be fixed in FT3 when it comes out.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast