Thread: Dona Ana County and Evirons, New Mexico Territory 1873

Wip Dona Ana County and Evirons, New Mexico Territory 1873

This is my map of the region we're gaming in. Its Boot Hill 3rd Edition. I worked from a map that I found of the area circa 1895. Lots and lots of stuff changed in those years. I then went on a ghost town hunt. Using my google-fu, I went looking at the founding date of each settlement, trying to figure out if it was inhabited or not in 1873. Wow. I will say I've learned a bunch of New Mexico history. I already knew quite a bit, I'm from the area. On the one hand, that was great. Knowledge is always good. I now know all kinds of useless little details.... I just got so caught up in it I've stopped work on the map.

It was all going so well, treating it like a Fantasy map, since in a sense it is. Then, "Mr. Bright Idea" decided to go look at google maps and see the satellite photos. Things went down hill from there. After lots of time spent, I saw that I had forgotten White Sands. My peaks don't look like the satellite pics. The shadows on the mountains also... annoy me. I used Kjdavies method on the mountains. I tried Rob's but I kept getting less than pleasing results. I know I did something wrong somewhere, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I got some AWESOME looking rocks that way though. There is lots more water in the area too but I can't see it on the google maps. Its not shown on the old map. So, I'm left with trying to find a map that does have it, or just making stuff up. A couple of creeks/rivers and draws I know are there, since I've been there, but the rest... I'm at a loss. I guess I'll just fill in the ones I know about til I find another reference map. I've got a Rand McNally county by county road atlas/gazetteer thing if I could just find it. (From back in my outlaw trucking days. Nothing better for sneaking around scales.)

The old map Click image for larger version. 

Name:	donaana.jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	38347 My MapClick image for larger version. 

Name:	donaana3wip.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	968.0 KB 
ID:	38352without old map superimposedClick image for larger version. 

Name:	donaana3bwip.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	643.2 KB 
ID:	38353
    Last edited by RevGunn; 09-06-2011 at 11:35 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Gracias Steel.

Hobbitt Estates, Greater Kansas City Metro Area, Kansas, USA

New Mexico is a wonderful place and there is some terrific information there for map hounds. There is a book called "Place Names of New Mexico", if you can find a copy it has some really terrific history in it. Since you are doing Boot Hill you simply MUST check out the history for Lincoln County, New Mexico. There is a company called Spatial Data Research (www.sdrmaps.com) that at one time had a contract with the state of New Mexico to do all of their e911 maps. I know that one of the company's founders, Keith, is an incredibly bright and friendly fellow - as well as being 'gamer-nerd friendly'. You might try contacting him and seeing if they have any public domain digital maps that you could use.
    City of Opal Island Map (Featured Map Winner...yay!): http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5966
    Various maps from my Homebrew Game: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5407
    Unless I explicitly state otherwise you have my permission to use my maps in any capacity needed just give me credit. If you make money off them somehow, that's awesome - let me know! In fact, I LOVE to hear about the ways maps I make are used.

Wow.. Thank you for the tip.