Thread: Dreamlands, way overboard

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Khannea's Avatar

Default Dreamlands, way overboard

Hey y'all

Have been working on a dreamlands situated around the 6 kingdoms, is now so insanely big it has become unfinishable. Dare I say it? Yah. 40.000 by 40.000 pixels with a few dozen layers.

I am looking for suggestions on how to fractalize mountains and coastal regions. Handpainting it has become an exercise in incredibly stupid. I want to not totally randomize these features, but constrain the randomization in what I already have.

Anyone with suggestions, please email me at khannea.suntzu@gmail.com. My goal is too finish it within a reasonable time frame (a year?) and start work on content and back story. May publicize it, specifically a 1.5 by 1.5 meter print of the map in highest attainable print detail (720DPI).

I might also be interested in collaborations.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I understand that your map is BIG, but if we can see some examples of what you are having problems with, it would be MUCH easier to help trouble shoot for you. This would also give us an idea of just what you are shooting for, style wise.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Novice

40 x 40 pixels? Or 40,000 x 40,000 pixels? 40 pixels is not big...40,000 on the other hand...

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

The first and foremost question is: Do you really need a 1.5x1.5m map with 720 DPI? - You are right, a file with that dimension would be around 42k in both dimensions. That boils down to a massive file with probably around 5-10 GB per layer (uncompressed) ...

I would assume am Map this size is put up on a wall as kind of poster. The necessary DPI or PPI depends on the viewing distance - so you probably need something around 150 - 240 DPI - which would reduce the image size to ~10.000 pixels in both dimensions.

Beyond that - the question is, what style is planned for the map, how much actual detail do you want ...

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Khannea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EricPoehlsen View Post
    The first and foremost question is: Do you really need a 1.5x1.5m map with 720 DPI? - You are right, a file with that dimension would be around 42k in both dimensions. That boils down to a massive file with probably around 5-10 GB per layer (uncompressed) ...

I would assume am Map this size is put up on a wall as kind of poster. The necessary DPI or PPI depends on the viewing distance - so you probably need something around 150 - 240 DPI - which would reduce the image size to ~10.000 pixels in both dimensions.

Beyond that - the question is, what style is planned for the map, how much actual detail do you want ...
    Khannea's Album: Dreamlands