Thread: New Map Pack - The Ice Bridge

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default New Map Pack - The Ice Bridge

It's September, and that means a new map pack - The Ice Bridge. This month we're heading to the icy north, with a map from The Breaking of Forstor Nagar. A chasm of icy water leads to the front gate of a city carved from a glacier. A great arching bridge spans the channel and a longship full of cold eyed killers and explosives hoves into view, heading for the frozen defences.

Here’s the map from the opening encounter as it appears in the adventure:

Of course the map pack does not assume you’re playing Breaking of Forstor Nagar. This could be the entrance to a Frost Giant stronghold, a white dragon lair or a viking clanhold. The pack is separated into pieces that allow you to use it in as many different ways as possible.

The pack contains pdfs packs with the map sliced into pages for printing at home at 1 square = 1″ scale, both in full colour and printer friendly greyscale, in A4 and letter formats. Here’s a preview of the map and the fireship that appear in the pdf packs:

With the size of the base map this gives you over 17 square feet of playing area. Now that’s the kind of location that can provide a truly epic naval battle.

As well as the pdfs, the pack contains jpgs of the map and the fireship with and without grid, as well as map with no fireship, bridge or objects for use in virtual tabletops. In addition, the pack contains individual pngs of the objects on the map so that you can assemble your own encounter from scratch. The png objects are:

• semi-transparent bridge
    • 75′ long fireship
    • debris of a shattered catapult
    • ballistae
    • 35′ twin masted pinnace

Finally, the pack includes a maptool map file with all the elements compiled and full vision blocking implemented for quick import into any campaign file. This requires maptool 1.3b86 or newer to run. You can find the full pack, with more previews, on RPGNow. All this for only $2.99.

You can find out more about the design process for this map - and see it in use - over in this article on the Fantastic Maps blog.

I love the way you did the rigging on the ship, very nice touch
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I didn't think I would get this pack, but looking at the ice bridge and the longboat without the 4e info has made me reconsider. I'm going to add to my RPGDriveThru wishlist.