Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Terra Nova

Default WIP - Terra Nova

I started mapping out the worldmap of my fantasy world. I hope you guys (and girls) can take a look at this project and help me along a bit. Any input is welcome.

the first image is an overview of the world. The second image is a small part of the whole map, that I started to paint with textures. The watertexture is still a placeholder. I started with the land textures. (Is this the right way to do it, or should I start working on the water first?) I think they look alright, but I'm curious what I can do better.

Everything is drawn in GIMP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTN_wip_01.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	37725

Name:	KTN_detail_01.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	37726

I like it allot so far. In fact, I'd be really curious to know what textures you are using for the forests: they look fantastic!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you for your reply Arsheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    I'd be really curious to know what textures you are using for the forests
    I used the texture Green43, from the forest&floors1.zip that Sonenfalke provided in the 'Land and Sea fill textures' topic. I used the multiply modus and I believe I also added a little contrast to the texture
    Last edited by Len Wolff; 08-12-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good to me, all I can really say is that you may want to smooth out some of the land as it looks bumpy...not all of the land just some smooth places.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the tip Len!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

ha. I opened the second view (closeup) in another window.. you surprised a "oh, that's pretty" out of me that startled me cat

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's looking very nice. The snow on the mountains is particularly effective.

Thanks for all the nice replies and tips! I will be going on a two week vacation tomorrow. So it will be some time before I can update this WIP.

Back from vacation. I had some time to work on my map. I've 'painted' in most of the hills, mountains and forests and gave some thought to the location of the major rivers.

still a lot needs to be done. My first issues right now are how to make the water look good, both the rivers and the ocean. And I need a nice tallgrass prairie in the northwest. If anybody has ideas, tips or knows a good tutorial on these subjects; I'm open for ideas. And I could also use some critique on the flow of the rivers.

Name:	KTN_wip_02.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	465.6 KB 
ID:	38057

I'm afraid that I haven't worked with textures enough to give you any directions regarding the water. But as for the landscape itself, it is looking just lovely!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast