Thread: Art VS Graphic Design

Default Art VS Graphic Design

So basically Art VS Graphic design (using photoshop). Which one would be best to develop mapping skills? Im thinking of switching from quoir to one of these two. Im a bit leaned toward Art though because my lady friend is in there.

Yes. I intend to take one of the two at school..

I think you're the best person to answer the question then. You're in the school, you know what the courses offer, you know what sort of mapping you want to do etc etc....not sure what advice we can offer. Is there a course in GIS or similar? That might be quite good if you are into mapping real life locations?

Unless you are just doing this for a hobby you should figure out which type of work you enjoy the most. If it IS just for a hobby then you should probably go where your lady friend is because well, it doesn't really matter anyway does it?

If this is related to a profession you are pursuing then I think you might want to see a guidance counselor. Maybe take a look at what type of careers are available depending on which direction you take.

From my own opinion I would say take at look at what the classes offer, what type of things the students of those classes are producing and take the one you are most attracted to.

Art is rather subjective....you could blow up watermelons and call it art. I'm sure they can teach you some techniques but depending on what type of art you want to do it's possible you are better off on your own. *shrug* At least years ago when I was figuring out what I wanted to do they told me there really wasn't a school that would teach you realism. You just had to do it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I think Ill go with art! Because I want to be a mapper and illustrator (even though I fail at drawing people I like landscapes and buildings.) And my lady friends in that class

If someone would lock this.. Maybe? Sorry for the inconvenience

Both with help you with your mapping in different ways. Graphic design will help you to learn the digital tools (like Photoshop) and layout your maps all neat, nice and properly, and art will give you the notions for style, techniques, coloring, and so on. In the end both are just as good and it only depends on what you like the most. Neat digital effects and layout or colorful and beautifully drawn illustrations. In time you'll get both

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yep, what Hugo said. ... I work with graphic design myself and it hasn't helped me much in making the actual maps, but it helps with composition, positioning elements and of course knowing the programs and printing techniques.

Concerning locking threads - we don't do that (except from challenges), you might not be the only one who wonders about this so this thread will be open for.. eternity... MUHAHHAHHAAAAHHAA... *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

lol Thanks anyway guys!