Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of a mapper are you?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm a mood mapper. I map when I'm feeling artistic, which is most of the time so that's good. Also an eclectic mapper, I map many different things and many different styles so that I don't get burned out on any one thing.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I am a brand new mapper. But the guild members are very inspiring and I am learning a lot. Hopefully I can take some of my old pen and paper material and digitize it without completely messing up the initial feel. Right now I practice.
    "The only things that will be left after the Apocalypse will be Twitter and cockroaches. So prepare carefully!" ~ Needamedic

I'm a flighty mapper, I can't sit still on a single map and hardly ever finish them.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

I am an on-and-off non-completionist mapper. My issue is that my maps are always tied to a story, but I can't stick with any story idea because it always feels too undeveloped, too overdone, too simple, or something else. Because I am always creating different story ideas, the setting changes a lot, so I am also creating many different maps, many of which never are completed.

I like regional maps and city maps in different styles, though my favourite is the old-school semi-handrawn printing-press-replicated map, like the ones in those wonderful 18th and 19th century atlases. Some day when I feel I am good enough I will attempt to recreate the style.
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

As a mapper I place artistic license above information. Every map I make is in my current desktop resolution (used to be 1366×768, now 2048×1152) so I can use it as such.

As for how I map, I guess you could call me a caffeine-fueled mapper. I'm also a revisionist mapper. My current project is version 6 of the universe map I posted here when I first signed up.
    Emaria Universe Map - V6 here, old version here
    Emaria Star Maps - here
    Emaira Star Map Tutorial - here

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I'm a 'mojo-less' mapper now...
    I am in SG's boat these days. Lost mine and haven't seen it for quite some time!
    M

Blog Entries

I favour medium scale maps and try to mimic the hand drawn/engraved look of cartographers like Raisz, de Fer, and the black and white maps in many a fantasy novel.

I try to make my maps look real, both in terms of their content and their apparent production. Even though I work in vector computer graphics, I want those of my maps that are meant to look like they were drawn or printed to look drawn or printed. Likewise I take projections and formal map components like compass roses and graticules seriously.

I consider maps to be functional means of conveying information above all. Even if the information is made up just for the purposes of drawing a pretty map, I don't consider the map all that pretty if the information isn't consistent and readable.

I studied GIS, Computer Science, and Mathematics in university, which all play into my mapping in various ways.

I'm a starting mapper... and of course a lasy one or else I'd have more than 4 finished maps

Looking forward to become a city and a world mapper thou.

I'm a prolific pro mapper of some worlds (not my preference), regionals, cities/towns/villages, encounter scale for use in print and Virtual Terrain apps. I create mostly hand-drawn/digital hybrids, and more rarely digital only maps. In the last four years (at a guess) I've created 300+ maps, mostly for my own uses, many as challenge entries here, some other contests, and the rest being professional freelance maps for various publishers from Dog House Rules to Paizo Publishing. While I prefer and create mostly fantasy themed maps, I have created WW1, WW2, Gangster Chicago, Moon Base maps, and some other sci-fi themes. I also create custom map objects and do some spot illustration, here and there. I've created almost 300 map objects for ProFantasy, and may be doing an Annual collection soon (of my ukiyo-e map objects).

As it says under my name, I'm also a publisher, though currently doing co-publishing projects with Rite Publishing, and a side project with Johnn Four.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast