Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** MARCH CHALLENGE: Not Your Father's Random Dungeon ***

Post *** MARCH CHALLENGE: Not Your Father's Random Dungeon ***

*** MARCH CHALLENGE: Not Your Father's Random Dungeon ***

This month's challenge hearkens back to the days of rogue, hack, and randomly generated dungeon crawls. Indispensable to the harried DM, there are a variety of tools for creating random dungeons with random contents, including Jamis Buck's Dungeon Generator. Follow the link, take it for a spin, and get a few random dungeons in your file for further use--then head back here for the challenge...

This month's challenge is this herculean task: Take a specific dungeon created by the random generator by us and turn it into a cartographic work of art.

Here is the full link that provides all the details we've randomly generated... 5 rooms, contents randomly assigned. To avoid burning up too much of their bandwidth here is an off-line copy you should work from: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon Generator.pdf 
Views:	133 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	2552.

Guidelines:
    • Everything specified in the descriptions must be reflected in your map.
    • Scale is the standard 5ft per square.
    • Additional details, contents, furnishings, ornamentation, fabrications, elevations (stairs), traps, or any other additions desired may be added so long as they are consistent with the source map.
    • Rooms containing monsters or characters should not actually depict them, but should reflect the inhabitant(s). For example, a spider implies webs...
    • It is recommended that one (or more) entrances to the dungeon are provided or indicated
    • Other than the last guideline, no rooms, corridors, or doors can be added to the dungeon layout.

The focus this month is the dungeon map itself. Any back-story or attempt to turn this random hodgepodge into something that makes sense will be enjoyed, but it won't count as a part of the final entry.

Remember to adhere to the contest rules, plus create a thread for your entry (WIPs welcome), and if you have any questions please post them in this thread. Good luck!

Blog Entries

Hi Rob, I can access the full link but I don't appear to have permissions for the attachment. Its no problem as I can save a copy from the full link but it might be worth checking in case something happens to the link. I can view the PDF ok from the box at the bottom tho so I guess its no big deal.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-02-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Blog Entries

Rob another question. Sigurd has done a different map - I know he has changed it etc but the original he has started with is different from the one I see.

Maybe I am missing the point here but is the map you want the one with a Krenshar in room 2 ? Or do you pick a new random dungeon and run with that.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-02-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the attachment in the description is broken because it was a copy from the planning thread we have in the community leaders private forum...I'll see if I can fix it.

And from the way I read the rules...yes you're supposed to use the ACTUAL random generator results that match the one in the pdf using the seed in the second link...the first link is just a courtesy link to the generator itself...I've adjusted the wording a little to clear it up a bit.
    Last edited by Robbie; 03-02-2008 at 09:51 AM.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Rob another question. Sigurd has done a different map - I know he has changed it etc but the original he has started with is different from the one I see.

Maybe I am missing the point here but is the map you want the one with a Krenshar in room 2 ? Or do you pick a new random dungeon and run with that.
    Long answer in his thread....

Short answer is use the specific map (as Arcana has now modified the rules).

-Rob A>

Another point of clarification is that there is no need to actually use this map image as a starting point! Just the layout.

So enlarge it, redraw it, project it on the side of a building, render it in 3D, draw it isographically, whatever...

The restriction is intended to be the layout, not the rendering...

Hope this initial clarification helps.

-Rob A>

So, just for re-assurance: I take your random seed code, go to the generator, enter that seed into the "random seed" box and then hit "generate dungeon"?

If so... Jesus. I'll see how I can make do with what I got.

Info Use the "full link"

Or use the "full link" or the PDF download in the first post of this thread to access the specific dungeon map and contents required for this challenge...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Ah! Hm, okay, I see. I'll probably have to go for an completely out of the way style to have any success, buuuut... I guess I can think of something.

I'd like a clarification please.

I use the actual map and descriptions from the link and work from that, Correct?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast