Thread: Greetings from Michigan

Post Greetings from Michigan

Hello, all. I am brand new to the site and am not even sure how to start. What advice do you have for fantasy mapping when I have no experience?

Welcome to CG! I'm pretty new here and have very little mapping experience myself, but my advice would be to try and do maps hand-made or digital all the way to the end (I mean "finished" maps) and then post in in here and you'll be showered with lots of great advice and comments.

Welcome!

There is a quickstart guide here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...antasy-Mapping.

I don't think it's been updated in a while, but it should at least give you some idea of how to start thinking about things. Take a look around the Finished Maps forum and look for something in a style you'd like to learn. Then look to see if there's a work in progress thread about that map, or, even better, a tutorial about the style.

Then put up a work in progress thread of your own, and ask questions if you get stuck on something. This is a tremendously helpful community, and it's almost certain that someone will have some advice to offer.

Have fun!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the guild
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)