Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am seriously bummed out

Blog Entries

Hmm despite all the attempts within the apps to do something about it, it sounds like they are all failing to address this problem adequately. I'm not sure what the answer is tho. Do you buy an extra bit of software or learn to save more often - I don't know. What I can say is that from having those sorts of experiences with such soul crushing effect then spending a few quid on an external USB hard drive must surely be less painful than this. A bunch of flash drives in the fire safe is a good idea as well. Not all that dissimilar actually. Offline USB storage whether on a disk or flash is worth the funding. Its no effort to do it, just the cash to do it. If you live in a zone where the power is icky then I would also suggest an uninterrupted power supply. These are expensive off the shelf except that if your in a country like the UK where your going through this green energy thing and nobody is allowed to recycle commercial stuff then they can be had for nothing as a lot of industrial companies are getting rid of them because of the expense of disposing of the dead batteries. I have a collection of about 5 now all for no cash but you have to buy the quite pricy lead acid battery to go in them. But for the cost of the battery alone they are worth having. Its saved my PC from two hard power cuts and numerous brown outs any of which could have been fatal to my system.

I have mentioned this gadget several times on here but ill say it again to attempt to prevent some of this pain going around... you can get a USB HDD docking station. Fit old HDDs into the slot and it gives them USB access. So you only need to buy extra HDDs and not the USB versions of them. For one its not much in it, but if you have a rotation of them like Diamond has with his drives then you can buy a small blank internal HDD for low cost and make it a USB type.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Bl.../dp/B001A4HAFS

BTW you dont need a 2TB drive to go with it. Something like a 300Gb would be ample.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00461E7JE

I know its $70 but its your work, sweat and tears. The computer you can replace, the work you cant. If your machine has just failed spectacularly but the HDD survived and is a SATA type then you can build / buy a new machine and keep the old HDD as a backup. Then its only $30. By having the HDD powered off of a power brick instead of the PC's PSU then if its the PSU that goes bang (literally in some cases) then it can fry all the electrical stuff in the box. By having the external HDD over USB it might fry the USB port of the PC or even the docking station but its unlikely to fry the HDD as well. Put the powerbrick on the uninterruptible mains as well. Not a lot other than simoltaneously losing both the PC HDD and your backup at the same time will then be a disaster. If like Diamond you rotate them then they all have to fail or the whole house has to burn down. In Diamonds case the fire safe might even prevent that. Extreme, sure, but that is what we do !. Big companies have offsite backups to prevent even that.

I think this happens to us all... and we all react pretty much the same way

For me thou, aftwer the rage subsides and I find myself reworking aaaaallllll the stuff I've already done, I've noticed that somehow the second time turns out better than the first, I suppose this is because memory is still fresh and I get to improve/polish those little parts I wasn't very happy with but had already done so would not get too deep/back into it. So, in a way, crashing is not always too bad a thing to happen.

Cheers to crashing and buying more ram for Photoshop to devour! :raises the mug:

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd love more ram for my photoshop, but its just so damn expensive for my MacBook Pro
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

@Jax - Been there, done that and I feel your pain.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

heh.. not exactly the same thing, but I just spent the past 6 days upgrading, installing, installing, installing, installing, and installing Ubuntu 11.04 until I finally got fed up with the fact that the 2.6.38.* kernel does not seem to like nvidia cards very much(as in X won't start correctly no matter what driver I use or workarounds I try from googling the problem).

I finally ended up re-installing 10.10 and everything seems to be running fine except for getting my tablet to work on 2.7.3 which I built from source. All of the input devices are greyed out except for "core pointer" so I can't modify... 2.6.11 from the Ubuntu repos works great.... When I HAD built Gimp from source on 11.04, the wacom worked fine each time... so I am sort of in a chicken<->egg scenario, working graphics card = broke tablet(for GIMP 2.7.3) OR broke graphics card + PITA booting to failsafe mode + low graphics = working tablet for GIMP 2.7.3
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I know they can be tricky sometimes to get it to run the nVidia cards but I didn't find it too much of a problem on my particular ubuntu box and I am on an 11.04 with a 2.6.38* kernel too. So its not a general problem but I have had issues like that in the past. All I can say is to boot it into the default non nVidia option and then under the settings there is the "additional drivers" widget. Every time I try to do it by using the xconf commands in a shell it seems to go bad. I'm using nVidia driver version 173 if its any help.

Thanks RR, I will just wait... If this was a desktop, I would just go get another card, but it's a laptop so that option is out. I did try many different options and work arounds, including the one you suggest. One thing i notice different is yours appears to be using the pae which indicates a 32 bit machine (it I understand correctly) while mine is using amd64 native, so it could be a combination of the 64 bit kernel and the nvidia drivers(tried nouveau, nv, and binary proprietary from Nvidia's site). Each attempt seemed to cause, a different problem all going back to the card drivers.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Well, I worked on this last night and made some good progress. Even came up with a way to create a sort of dead swamp area between the mountains and the jungle.

Here is a mini shot of that part of the map. I don't have permission to post the whole thing plus, I'm nowhere near done but I'm pretty happy with how this area looks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minishot.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	38299  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

That looks very good man! This style is getting better and better! cheers, DJ

It looks really great. I'm glad to see that you're already back mapping
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast