Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon map

Post Dungeon map

New here, so forgive me if I'm out of line.

This is one of my first completed dungeon maps, made entirely in Photoshop. It's quite large, and has taken my players at ENWorld several months just to get through the first part of it (I hope none of them are lurking here!). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on improving anything.

Critiques and/or comments welcome.

-IG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon.png 
Views:	1890 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	2553  

first off, nice map; I like it.

I'm not entirely a fan of the randomness to the dungeon layout; that stylistic difference aside (if you and your players enjoy it, all the power to you) I really like the style you have worked out. I like the texture of the floor tiles and the contrast it has with the walls. That said I'm not a huge fan of the font you've used.

also, I'm dying to know what room b4 is all about.

These minor criticisms aside, I think you have a really nice mapping style going and am curious to see more from you.

Quote Originally Posted by rwaluchow View Post
    first off, nice map; I like it.

I'm not entirely a fan of the randomness to the dungeon layout; that stylistic difference aside (if you and your players enjoy it, all the power to you) I really like the style you have worked out. I like the texture of the floor tiles and the contrast it has with the walls. That said I'm not a huge fan of the font you've used.

also, I'm dying to know what room b4 is all about.

These minor criticisms aside, I think you have a really nice mapping style going and am curious to see more from you.
    The layout is actually a random dungeon from Jamis Buck's Dungeon Generator. I modified it a bit to suit my needs, obviously, but it's worked well for me so far. Oddly enough, just shortly after posting this map, I noticed this contest. Might have to try my hand at it it again.

Most of this is a sewer system, and B4 is a major collecting point. You can guess why it's the color that it is. It's also home to a couple of well placed otyughs; it was just too classic to pass up.

I was going to suggest you enter the next contest

This is almost a teaser for the mapping competition. (Honest - I didn't plan this, it is a complete coincidence!)

-Rob A>

Hey--nice job! I have no idea why you thought you could possibly be "out of line"--you have used the Guild exactly as this forum is intended!

I think you have done some nice things here: this is a clear map, very moody (mainly because of the black rock fill). The way I see this map is that it is really a schematic of these dungeons/sewers with a bit of fancy touches added in coloring and texture. Clear and straightforward, so I can think of no major suggestions.

If you wanted to tweak & play just for the heck of it, I say 1) adjust your grid so it's not so sharp; for example, put the grid layer in color burn or multiply blending mode & turn down the opacity a bit. 2) You could also add some glow to your torches, and darken the rest a bit more. 3) I also think A5's items clash when compared to other placed items (as in c4) because they are symbolic vs. literal top-down views (or visa versa).

Nice first post!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    Hey--nice job! I have no idea why you thought you could possibly be "out of line"--you have used the Guild exactly as this forum is intended!

I think you have done some nice things here: this is a clear map, very moody (mainly because of the black rock fill). The way I see this map is that it is really a schematic of these dungeons/sewers with a bit of fancy touches added in coloring and texture. Clear and straightforward, so I can think of no major suggestions.

If you wanted to tweak & play just for the heck of it, I say 1) adjust your grid so it's not so sharp; for example, put the grid layer in color burn or multiply blending mode & turn down the opacity a bit. 2) You could also add some glow to your torches, and darken the rest a bit more. 3) I also think A5's items clash when compared to other placed items (as in c4) because they are symbolic vs. literal top-down views (or visa versa).

Nice first post!!
    I might drag it back out and play with it some more some time, but it'll probably be after I'm finished using it in the game. I've actually got another layer on top of that one depicting the section of the city above, so that'll b something else to look at.

I do appreciate your feedback, it is most insightful.

That is a mighty fine looking dungeon map there.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    That is a mighty fine looking dungeon map there.
    Thank you. It was really my first, so hopefully they'll get better now that I have this most excellent resource.

Thanks again.

-IG

It looks good and its very clean, so its should be easy to work with for play.

My only gripe would be that some rooms have stuff put in them, but alot of the map is pretty much left "Blank."

I understand this could be because the only things on the maps have actual functional things in the dungeon itself, and if thats the case, then never mind what I'm saying.

Over all its crisp, clean, and easy to use, so i'd say its a success!

Quote Originally Posted by Kagehito View Post
    It looks good and its very clean, so its should be easy to work with for play.

My only gripe would be that some rooms have stuff put in them, but alot of the map is pretty much left "Blank."

I understand this could be because the only things on the maps have actual functional things in the dungeon itself, and if thats the case, then never mind what I'm saying.

Over all its crisp, clean, and easy to use, so i'd say its a success!

Thanks for the feedback. You are correct in that only the 'furnished' rooms actually have something worthwhile in them, although I"m sure if I thought about it I could think of a reason to decorate a few more rooms here and there. I might work on it sometime in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast