Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Creation WIP: Etarek

It seems that the bumps aren't to do with anything I did in Wilbur, because as soon as I save the map as an mdr file, if I import that straight back into FTPro, they appear. To get rid of them, I think I'll have to blur them out like suggested, but the 3x0.5 wasn't enough.

Is there any other way to get rid of them? And should I try and do it before or after all the erosion is applied?

Using the exponent function from 0 shouldn't cause any issues that I know of. If you apply a feather value to the selection, however, it has the potential to leave some rougher edges/elevations along the coast which isn't really a bad thing (think of the coastal regions of Norway, Sweden and the western coast of North America where a number of cliff like areas go right up to the waterline). I should mention that using the basin fill isn't a bad thing at all. I just tend to follow it up with some noise and precipitation to smooth out the transition from mountains to flatlands.

As far as getting rid of those bumps, I'm not sure what to suggest on that one. If waldronate happens along this thread, he might have a suggestion given his knowledge of both applications. For my part, ever since I installed the latest patch (li18hy0) for FTPro, I've not been able to import .mdr files back into FTPro without some serious issues.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I'll play with some more erosion then. Maybe an exponent. I'm actually pretty happy with it. My main issue is with the transition back to FTPro. But if I make all my maps out of images exported from Wilbur then I can avoid this problem. Just about to post up my first attempts at climatology.

Wip

Here's my first attempt at climatology. I've just followed the Climate Cookbook and come up with these pressure maps.

If there are any climate-savvy people out there, could you tell me if I'm on the right track please?

January:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	January.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	38502

July:

Name:	July.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	38503

Does anyone have any comments on my pressure maps? Or shall I just get going on prevailing winds?

Seeing as how I'm no expert when it comes to climate building, I would imagine you're probably safe with what you've got. If you've been following the Climate Cookbook, you can probably move on to the prevailing wind and such.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

So here are my prevailing winds:

January

Name:	January Winds.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	38539

July

Name:	July Winds.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	38540

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    For my part, ever since I installed the latest patch (li18hy0) for FTPro, I've not been able to import .mdr files back into FTPro without some serious issues.
    Any details on these issues?

Acutally, I think I know what I was doing wrong. Since I was exporting parts of the world as a "Wilbur MDR Files" instead of the whole world as a "Special Wilbur MDR file" the latitude and longitude extents of the area weren't being sent to Wilbur, and I was forgetting to adjust them before sending things back to FTPro. I was actually getting data back into FTPro, but it was a tiny little 1 degree by 1 degree spec instead of the full extent of the area. I do appreciate you asking though, and I meant to contact you about it at one point. With all the updating I've had to do since the crash, some of these things have slipped my mind. It must be old age catching up to me.

GW
    GW

Wow, that's pretty interesting. I'll have to check out the link you provided to see how you figured out the wind patterns (something I've been curious about but haven't really looked into yet).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast