Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World Creation WIP: Etarek

So I finished my planet's climate using the cookbook and put this map together.
    It roughly outlines the different areas of climate, but I haven't taken the mountains into account and such so it's only a general outline of where deserts and forests are etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Koppen Map.jpg 
Views:	2943 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	38709

As always, any criticism is welcome. I will probably try putting together a satellite view next with realistic textures.

That's pretty cool laevex. This makes me want to give this cookbook a try for my own homebrew world.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I'm trying to use this climate map to create a satellite view and I have no idea how to go about it.

I'd love to do something like this, yet another example of a2area's work that I love. Any idea how I would go about it? I find editing climates in FTPro incredibly difficult.

Wip

Here is the result of all my work on defining Etarek's climate. I'm quite happy with the result. One odd thing is that the estuaries are completely crazy, but I'll explain that away with backstory. It's a quirk of the planet.

If anyone has feedback I'd love to hear. If not, then I'll post it in the 'Finished Maps' section and move on to my regional maps (the big project).

(Because the attachment feature is broken, I've uploaded it using Imageshack. Click the link to see it.)

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/849...withrotati.jpg

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Another thing which I think may be wrong is that I have rivers starting in dry areas, particularly in deserts. Does this ever happen?

I'm assuming not.Does anyone think it would be a good idea to redirect them?

Guild Journeyer

It could be explained by them actually starting outside the deserts, but not getting wide enough to be seen on the map until they're in the desert. If you think you have too many desert rivers, you could simply remove some.

Also, do I see submarine canyons in the bathymetry? Very nice to have details like that.

Your estuaries, and coast in general, are about right for a planet that's recently had sea-level rise.
    I am a geology nerd.

Yes they are submarine canyons. But I only have them because I followed a2area's Israh tutorial to get my erosion looking good. The idea for that was a world coming out of an ice age, so sea levels had recently risen. I expect this is why my estuaries are like that. But I'm happy to accept that as the geological reasoning for them. I actually really like the geology of this world.

Here's the latest version with less rogue rivers. (I still can't attach images properly, so it's just a link I'm afraid.)

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6...ewfinished.jpg

Things you can do in Wilbur to fix some of the complaints:

One way to mitigate the deeply-incised coastal rivers is to save a selection of your base terrain's land before you erode the terrain and then load that selection back in and height clip the selection from 0.1 to 10000000 after you erode the terrain. That will pull all of those just-below-sea-level areas to just above sea level. Not an option after the terrain is eroded, of course.

Another option in Wilbur is to perform a Filter>>Morphological>>Dilate operation with a value of 1 followed by a Filter>>Morphological>>Erode operation with a value of 1. That sequence will close all 2 pixel-wide holes without doing too many awful things to the terrain. It will do some damage, though, so you might want to only do that in an area around the coast. One way to select the coast is to do Select>>From Terrain>>Height Range with a value that selects fairly coastal areas. Select>>Modify>>Expand can be used to expand the coastal selection without worrying too much about the actual height of the land.

Thanks Waldronate! I fixed the estuaries using the second option you suggested and it looks great. I'll have to go through and redo the Photoshop part now, but I'm very happy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123