Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Font advice?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default Font advice?

I'm hunting for a font with an 'Arabic feel' - commission wording. Any ideas? Dafont has turned up:

http://www.dafont.com/xxii-arabian-onenightstand.font

and

http://www.dafont.com/ds-arabic.font

but I'm not totally convinced. Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Hey Torstan,

One more option might be Califph, though it can be difficult to read when used for smaller labels.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Well, if you are going to use letters that are readable in English you are asking for a tall order....seriously, Arabic is another animal altogether with it's own alphabet and if you add the vowels it's even more alien. And that is besides reading from right to left.

Funny enough I was practicing my Arabic writing yesterday. (I worked at it for a couple years and while I don't know how I will ever use it I don't want to totally forget about it).

If it must be readable then I think the second link is closer but the first looks nicer imo. Stay away from the capitals because they are just way off from what you get in actual Arabic. Arabic does have capitals but to us it doesn't look as obvious like our capitals dp against our lower cases. (Sorry I'm sun fried from being out in the heat all day and I can't recall what font we use in English and it's driving me crazy atm, LOL)

In retrospect I realize my posting is pretty worthless and probably of no help at all....sorry.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You know I'd be the guy to help you with this if it were about 6 weeks before today. So far I only have fonts A through C put back onto my pc, but only about 80% of those. The one thing you want to avoid is the whole "trying too hard to like Arabic but not actually getting there" thing. I'd dump the whole Arabic style font altogether and maybe go with one of those thick brush-stroke type letters, you know the "fatter than calligraphy" stroke. Jewish type fonts also do the trick without looking too hokey.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Those are good pieces of advice. The cotnext is a civilisation that's far removed from our own historic cultures, but has preserved elements of them. So the style of writing harks back to arabic calligraphy without being arabic. The jewish call is a good one too and the Califph font is an excellent suggestion.

lol, just don't let any Jewish people know you are going to use their fonts to represent Arabic ones.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

The Caliph font looks real nice and simple, easy to read, and you can always tweak a little the capitals to make the fancier and get a more "handmade" look for those fancy titles.

I think the Caliph font is better than the two others but it cost 18$ (contrary to the others).
    For the first font, I cannot imagine very well the result on a map... It'd be necessary to test both on a map so that we can decide . At first sight, I'd choose the second link but not sure...

I found this arabolical font on anorther site. It's a bit less "arabic" but certainly more readable.
    >>>>>>>My finished maps!<<<<<<<

Blog Entries

"XXII Arabian Onenightstand" Looks more like Devanagari than Arabic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast