Thread: First Map Post: A Highland Region using Wilbur and Gimp

Guild Apprentice

Wip First Map Post: A Highland Region using Wilbur and Gimp

I found this tutorial by Torq to be intuitive to follow http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...r-and-the-Gimp.

I tried it out with one main difference: instead of a ridged multi-fractal while in Wilbur, I instead picked a Hetero Terrain. The rest I went by the book.
    I suppose the Erosion phase cut a little high in my highlands, leaving erosion channels up near the top. That's one thing I'd like to do a bit differently.

Also, I tried to go with the darker blue outline around the water as shown in the tutorial example, but in my case it seems to have given me a "couldn't quite color within the lines" appearance. That's actually apt, in my case. I dunno... maybe I could add a marsh layer?

With that said, here's my first digital region image, hopefully to become more of a map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	region-from-wilbur-heteroterrain.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	727.7 KB 
ID:	38438

Not a bad start, and Torq's tutorial is a good one to work with. Leaves lots of room to tweak things around to suit your personal tastes, but still gives you what you need to make some progress.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

A nice start, I`ll keep an eye on your updates

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm playing around with the colors right now. It isn't that high a region, but I guess it looks little arid.

what's new?
    Darkened the lower ground, went with the lighter green for the higher ground and brown for the highest ground. I also added noise to the lowland layer and a bit of an overlay effect at the end to give it a ... well, not sure what I'd call the effect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	region-using-wilbur-heightmap-2.jpeg 
Views:	357 
Size:	957.4 KB 
ID:	38450
    Last edited by TregMallin; 09-10-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added the pic.