Thread: Thaalmyn-Duhr : The Re-load

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Thaalmyn-Duhr : The Re-load

As some of you might know by now, I suffered a major computer crash recently. Sadly, I lost retarded amounts of data even as I was trying to create back-ups for that data. The Thaalmyn-Duhr project I was working on, unfortunately, was one of those data files I lost irrevocably as far as the actual maps went. Fortunately, however, I had enough forethought to hand-record the world generation parameters used for this world in FTPro, and that has allowed me to start anew on this project.

Obviously there will be some changes, but I see that as a good thing since there were little bits and pieces of the world I wasn’t particularly happy with. Additionally, I wanted to narrow my focus to a particular region of the world and really concentrate on developing it as fully as possible

Thus, I present Thaalmyn-Duhr : The Re-load

For the most part, I’ve been following the same initial process as before, starting with fairly small land masses (based on the original world parameters) and slowly building up the continental shelves until I had room for one major continental mass, a few smaller continental masses and some areas that would work well as island chains. At this point, I’m pretty well set as far as the western portion of the map goes. I’ve got, probably, a couple more hours of shelf/sea editing to do in the eastern portion of the map, and then I’ll set about building up the actual land masses.

The area depicted is roughly 4000 miles east to west and 2100 miles north to south. It’s not quite a 2:1 ratio, but I believe it will work well with what I have in mind when I make the transition from FTPro to Terragen via Wilbur. Before the crash, I worked out a way to import non-square height fields into Terragen that leaves all sorts of room for map keys and/or legends, borders, and other details that can be added in as part of the rendering process or as part of the post-render editing.

In any event, here is the first “re-loaded” WIP. As always, thoughts and suggestions are more than welcome.

GW

Edit : Included a larger version of the original attachment. I keep forgetting that, along with the new system set-up, I got a larger monitor as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TD-FT-WIP-001.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	38420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TD-FT-WIP-001b.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	38421  
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 09-08-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: adding larger attachment
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges