Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CC3 - Help a New Enthusiast to Create an World Map

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Help CC3 - Help a New Enthusiast to Create an World Map

!!!NEW VERSION OF THE MAP ON THE BOTTON!!!

Hello Hive Mind!

I have learned some tricks of my new bought CC3. So after a first map that took me one week to "finish" to learn the program, I want to try to build the map of my fantasy world in a way that I really apreciate. I am using the style proposed by the Cartographer Annual 2009 "Fantasy Worlds" BUT I am having problems primary with scale. Its a 10 000 x 8 000 map, with in my mind means that it have 10 000 x 8 000 miles. Every symbol scale to 10 in the program and I am inicially pleased if the scale that the symbols looks on the map, because I can put mountains and others things in the very small islands that I am drawing. One of the problems is with the Defalt Terrain Tools that dont scale... I can draw a beautfull mountain range in a small issland, but with I try to put forests there the scale mess up. Another problem that I am having is how to put an island inside a lake. I tryed to toy with the sheets but I did not resolve, the lake always goes in front of the island that I draw.
    Well, what I already have? I first draw the main lands. Second I put all the larger islands. After that I draw the profundity lines in the ocean and put A LOT of smaller islands where I thought it fit well. Then I draw contour lines in the bays and near islands. Last I begin with the bodys of water inland. but did not finished it.
    Attachment 38455

NEW VERSION: WORK IN PROGRESS - SEE POST #13 AND LATTER TO SEE THE WIP.

Attachment 41927
    Last edited by Mateus090985; 02-06-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not too bad really. Colors are good and shapes are pretty nice but they need some adjusting. The outside edges all follow the edges of the frame...try to make those outside edges as complex and interesting as the insde where things are broken up and "crazy" looking. That's what we want, that hectic look. I think you could also take out a bunch of islands as they make things look like a lava lamp. Overall, pretty good, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Not too bad really. Colors are good and shapes are pretty nice but they need some adjusting. The outside edges all follow the edges of the frame...try to make those outside edges as complex and interesting as the insde where things are broken up and "crazy" looking. That's what we want, that hectic look. I think you could also take out a bunch of islands as they make things look like a lava lamp. Overall, pretty good, though.
    Thanks for the critiism. I really see your point, but I have to figure out how to "erase" parts of the draw or resize it. I put A LOT of very small islands that can only be seen zooing, but I will see if can bring a cleanner map.

That`s a good start, I like your work so far.

You can edit the shape with the "e"-button, just look up in the manual how that exactly works. I`d rescale tha map to be a little bit bigger, than move the contintens for a more random look. I`d also cut off the small connetcion between the big continent on the left side. So you can better rearrange the stuff. You can combine them afterwards again. Same for the right one.

Keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    That`s a good start, I like your work so far.

You can edit the shape with the "e"-button, just look up in the manual how that exactly works. I`d rescale tha map to be a little bit bigger, than move the contintens for a more random look. I`d also cut off the small connetcion between the big continent on the left side. So you can better rearrange the stuff. You can combine them afterwards again. Same for the right one.

Keep it up
    When you say rescale are your refering to a tool from the program or do you mean do it again in a bigger template? I dont understand very well what the diference beteween create a map in a 10 000 x 8 000 or in a 1 000 x 800. It looks the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateus090985 View Post
    When you say rescale are your refering to a tool from the program or do you mean do it again in a bigger template? I dont understand very well what the diference beteween create a map in a 10 000 x 8 000 or in a 1 000 x 800. It looks the same to me.
    Yes, you can rescale with the modifiaction-tool, the CTRL-key (if I remember right) and the mouse.

It affects the initial scale bar and the "special effects" or the fonts, due they have miles as units

Excellent tip!!! This makes things a lot easier! I have also bought the Fractal Terrains and I am seeing if its better to begin the world using it.

I have decided that I will do my world map in FT Pro and brake it in several parts and THEN I will work it on CC3. I ask your appologies for your time. I appreciate the feedback, but will begin a post based on my map on FT Pro. Some admin can close this if he/she find that way the best solution.

Mateus

What encouraged you to make this decision? The good placement of mountains etc.? I`m also struggling a little bit with that at the moment

Then best of luck with your next try, I`m looking forward for your next results

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    What encouraged you to make this decision? The good placement of mountains etc.? I`m also struggling a little bit with that at the moment

Then best of luck with your next try, I`m looking forward for your next results
    I want scale to be as perfect as I can get. FT Pro do it for me and allows me to break the world map in the scale and in what quantities I want. ProFantasy is realising in few weeks FT 3 that is fully compatible with CC3 in terms of sheets, etc (at least this is what they are saying), so I will wait for it and then start my real project. In the mean time I will try myself with City Designer 3 and maybe try to learn more form the programs that I recently bought.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast