Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Setting map request

Post Campaign Setting map request

Hello everyone
    I am creating a large dungeons and dragons campaign world, and cant progress further without the map.
    I asked on the wizards campaign workshop board and someone who is a member here said he would make my world for me, with any changes needed, however I have not heard from him in a while.
    Here I ask if someone is willing to work on creating my campaign world for me.
    The only region that is a requirement for the world is an island region. The main island aprox. the size of australia, with 39 smaller islands aprox. between half the size of, to twice the size of tazmania
    The rest I will leave up to the artist.

Blog Entries

Hey Baelzemon, you could get a good head start by downloading this freebie and playing around with it.

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...nstant_islands

You can set the res to low, browse through the infinite number of maps until you like one and then set the res to high and reload that map and save it out.

Theres a world mapping section on these boards too to use photoshop / Gimp et al to do much the same kind of thing too.

Hi, baelzemon & welcome to the Guild. Perhaps you could be more specific as to what you're hoping to get out of this. Color/b&w? Hand-drawn/computerized? Is this a paying job or gratis?

The more specific the more likely you are to be able to find a taker.

Also, you may wish to work on your own map? We have many, many members here who started with no ability to map, then using tutorials and helps from the boards they have created their own maps--and surprised even themselves. If you do go this route, though, don't try it alone: post your progress here with questions and concerns, etc. I think you'll find we're the most helpful place on the Internet!

Good luck!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Map Map Request --- A starting point

I thought I'd throw up a starting point for your map request. So far I just have the bare-bones of the map made, because I wanted to get your feedback before I put more work into it. Keep in miond that this is a very basic starting point. All I've done here so far is to make up the basic shapes and sizes of the islands. If this matches what you're going for, I'll go ahead and add the details.

Thanks,
    Prism Shard

Oh, in case you can't read the scale bar, I added a map grid, which is 500 miles for each square.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campaign World Request.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	2578  

Prism - I like it, though the islands are a little too close together
    as for more detail, alas I cant pay. It is just for my homebrew campaign, and I have no intentions of publishing it en mass.
    As for what I want, I need the whole campaign world. The island region is the only must, the rest of the planet is up to the creator. I should point out (if I havent already) that the planet is 3 times the size of the earth (roughly) in a solar system with 13 other planets, all of which can be clearly seen in the night sky
    Kaleda is the biggest planet in the solar system.
    It is also a trinary system, with a red giant, a white dwarf, and an average yellow. While the stars may change, though if they do it would be simply to a binary sytem, the comsic 13 of the local planets will not.
    As for map style, Im not too fussed. So long as the detail of marshlands, forests, swamps, mountains, volcanos, oceans, rivers, ect can be seen, Im happy.
    I asked here because I have 0 artistic talent when it comes to this.

Hey, Prism: nice start! Baelzemon, I think you have your mapper!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Map

Here's an update for you. I'm continuing with just mapping out the island region to start with, and will probably do the entire world as another map. This map isn't done yet, obviously, but I thought you might like a progress update. I moved the islands farther apart, as per your request, then added the sea contours, rivers and major lakes, mountain ranges, jungle areas, and a desert. Next I'll be adding swamps and forests. I'd also like to know if you want me to add cities and roads to the map, or if you want the map to be terrain-only. Also, if you'd like me to label the mountain ranges, major rivers and lakes, desert, swamps, etc, please let me know what you want them to be called. Or I could leave all the labeling to you; it's your call. Anyway, the map seems to be shaping up quite nicely; I hope you like it.

Thanks,
    Prism Shard

PS don't worry about not paying me. I'm definitely still very much an amateur at this, and the experience of making the map is reward enough. You can feel free to use the map as you see fit, though if you post it on a webpage or publish it in any other fashion make sure to give me credit for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campaign World Request.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	2610  

Its looking real good at the moment.
    I very much appreciate this, and you dont have to worry, it wont be published, except for maybe in my blog once its done, but considering what I wish to do with the world (the level of development and detail I want in it) that probably wont be for a year or so.
    Im curious, what is the scale?

As a side note to you, or anyone. I have a map of all the major campaign settings released for DnD on a single earth sized planet, but I want to convert the map to different projections. Do you, or anyone else, know how?

Hmm, that one's a bit over my head, I think. I might suggest posting that question in its own thread. I bet someone will have a suggestion on how to do that.

The scale is 500 miles per grid-square. That would make the big island very roughly the same general size as Australia, based on my guesstimations.

I probably won't have time to finish this until about this time next week, since my life's getting pretty hectic right about now... I've got my senior vocal recital coming up this Sunday, which is a major stress-generator at the moment. Hopefully I can remember all the words to all those damn songs.

As far as you asking about labeling and roads/cities
    this region is a port city nation, for the most part. And its in a relatively technologically behind region. They have large ships, and black powder cannons, but not much else as far as technology goes. No roads between cities, other then 'the trail most worn"
    Labeling would be nice, but seeing as it is a friend of a friend who is working on this region, Im unable to mention on it
    I may have said it prior, but even if I did, I would just like to say thankyou so very much for your help. I was close to canceling my campaign world development due to lack of world map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast