Thread: CC3 - How does scale function?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Question CC3 - How does scale function?

I am a new enthusiast in mapping and recently bought some products from Pro Fantasy (CC3, CD3, DD3, ...), but I am really lost of how scale function. I can't see any diferences when setting a map to be 100 x 80 or 1 000 x 800. The symblos don't seen to scale and if they do, it's not necessarily in a way that makes sense to me. And I am having big problmes with defalt terrains like trees because I cannot scale them with the scale of my map or the others symbols on it. Can someone give me some help in understanding how scalling wor and how I can "count" pixels?

Greattings

Mateus

Edit: I hope that could make me clear with my poor english.
    Last edited by Mateus090985; 09-12-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Hi Mateus:

In CC3, you don't really need to "count pixels" because it's a CAD-based program. In an overland map, while no units are listed 10,000 x 8,000 can be in miles or kilometers or whatever unit you desire. In a dungeon, floor plan or city, it can be the same "generic" thing or you can assign a unit like feet or meters.

If you want to scale your symbols, right click the mouse when you are placing them and enter a new value in the "X and Y:" box under Scale. If you want to re-scale the drawing tools that use symbols to draw forests, for example, that's a little more advanced/tricky. I'm not sure of all the steps but you could probably get an answer from one of the Profantasy people at their forums (see link in next paragraph).

If you are brand new to CC3, I recommend checking out the official Profantasy CC3 user forums in addition to The Cartographers Guild to find a lot of help with the basics: http://forum.profantasy.com

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by jaerdaph; 09-11-2011 at 11:27 PM.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Quote Originally Posted by jaerdaph View Post
    Hi Mateus:

In CC3, you don't really need to "count pixels" because it's a CAD-based program. In an overland map, while no units are listed 10,000 x 8,000 can be in miles or kilometers or whatever unit you desire. In a dungeon, floor plan or city, it can be the same "generic" thing or you can assign a unit like feet or meters.

If you want to scale your symbols, right click the mouse when you are placing them and enter a new value in the "X and Y:" box under Scale. If you want to re-scale the drawing tools that use symbols to draw forests, for example, that's a little more advanced/tricky. I'm not sure of all the steps but you could probably get an answer from one of the Profantasy people at their forums (see link in next paragraph).

If you are brand new to CC3, I recommend checking out the official Profantasy CC3 user forums in addition to The Cartographers Guild to find a lot of help with the basics: http://forum.profantasy.com

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Jaerdaph. I was getting crasy trying to understand the scale in CC3. But I still dont understand the difference beteween a template 100 X 80 or one 1000 x 800. Both look the same to me in terms of space avaiable and scale.

I will begin to take a look on ProFantasy Forums =)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateus090985 View Post
    Thanks Jaerdaph. I was getting crasy trying to understand the scale in CC3. But I still dont understand the difference beteween a template 100 X 80 or one 1000 x 800. Both look the same to me in terms of space avaiable and scale.

I will begin to take a look on ProFantasy Forums =)
    The scale is dependent on what you are making. In the case of an overland map the scale is in miles, and dungeon/city maps the scale is in feet. So a 100 x 80 template would be 100 miles x 80 miles for overland maps or 100 feet x 80 feet for dungeon maps depending on whether you selected an overland or a dungeon/city template.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    The scale is dependent on what you are making. In the case of an overland map the scale is in miles, and dungeon/city maps the scale is in feet. So a 100 x 80 template would be 100 miles x 80 miles for overland maps or 100 feet x 80 feet for dungeon maps depending on whether you selected an overland or a dungeon/city template.
    This part I get =). My dopubt is what is the actual diference beteween a 100 x 100 template and a 1000 x 1000 one? The space avaiable to work looks the same and the symbols and default terrains tools dont seen scale. For me the two templates look the same visualy and in terms of space to work...

In default CC3 overland fantasy maps, the drawing tools (like for forests) and symbols (like for mountains) don't "scale" between canvas sizes because they are not supposed to be a 1 to 1 mapping (where one tree equals one real world tree or - perhaps more importantly to grasp - one mountain symbol equals one real world mountain).

Now if you were to create a dungeon map at 1000 x 800 feet and another dungeon map at 100 x 80 feet, if you draw a floor for a 30' x 30' room using a floor drawing tool, the square floor would look smaller in the bigger area map and larger in the latter map because those are "scaled".

Now there are ways to make the drawing tools output larger symbols or fill styles, but I'm not confident enough in that to risk explaining it since changes to a drawing tool effect all maps, not just the one you are working on. If you want a larger default symbol universally in an overland map, go to File -> Drawing Properties and in the Drawing Presets dialog box, make sure the Default Symbol Scale box is checked and type in the new "scale:" beneath it (the default is 1.000). Note this will not effect the drawing tools. And if you want to change the scale of bitmap (PNG artwork) fill style (won't effect drawing tools though) or the size of a vector symbol used in a symbol fill (will effect drawing tools using vector symbols for that drawing only), see my instructions for both in this recent thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...texture-in-DD3

Hope that helps clear it up a bit. Glad to see you made it over to the Profantasy board too.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

To expand on Jaerdaph's post, in the overland maps, no the symbols won;t scale overly much as they are representitive (as he said, a Mountain could represent a few real world mountains), but in the Dungeon and City Map (the feet as opposed to miles maps) the symbols will scale. Check it out by making a 1000 x 1000 dungeon map and a 100 x 100 dungeon map and then place some furniture to see what I mean.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thaks you both for the replys. Now things ae really more clear.

huh? No idea