Thread: Fractal Terrains Pro Map Projection and Atlas

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Question Fractal Terrains Pro Map Projection and Atlas

This is my last thread before begin to post real maps. I have decided that I will do my world map in FT Pro but I want to put the details using CC3. My questions:

1) What is the best projetion and view if I want to break the map and import it to CC3 to fill details? I am inclined in using altitude vie to all and the others only in global scale. The spin projection I will use only for reference and the Equirectangular for export fractions (multiple files) using the Europe Expot (in altitude view) to fill details in CC3 as it is clean and dont loose too much detail. Opinions?

2) Where do I stop in FT Pro? I really dont know yet how much detail I can put there (roads, borders, cities, fields, forests...) but I am thinking in only putting terrain and altitude on it and fill all the rest (includind lakes and rivers) on CC3. But I see that putting rivers and lakes in FT and THEN export to CC3 may be a better solution. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Mateus

Edit: Someone know if there is a way that I can import a map from FTPro to CC# without the hole thing being trapped in the "Commom" sheet?
    Last edited by Mateus090985; 09-13-2011 at 02:35 PM.

I only have CC2, and export my FT Pro maps to CC2 on the way to another vector application. I can't answer question 1, but as for question 2, FT pro doesn't do roads, borders cities etc. You can approximate forests by using the Gaia shader but that is basically a matrix of temperature vs. rainfall (and I think altitude too although I can't remember for sure). Or you can make your own shader which will give you colour / texture against those parameters. Much easier and more controllable putting those items in CC3. As for rivers and lakes, you should check out the tutorials posted by Waldronate and others as to how to use FT Pro and Wilbur (free) to make good rivers and lakes. The process is quite involved though, although the instructions in the tutorial are very good.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Thanks for the clarifications and suggestions. As I said in another thread I think that I will wait for FT3 launch in a couple weeks to continuing working, because the import function to CC3 is really annoing me. I will take a look on Wilbur when have time.

Strictly speaking, FTPro, as an application, won't place roads and the like for you. As ravells said, you can approximate climate/biome types using the "Other Shader" option and developing your own climate overlay (see Bill Roach's Terraformer add-on at the ProFantasy Website). There is, however, a way you can apply roads if you're willing to work at it a bit. FTPro has an Image Overlay feature through which you can apply things like cloud cover and, as it happens other features such as roads, borders and so on. It is a bit involved, however, and can even be used to ramp up the climate/biome types.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges