Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea for Hex-based Wilderness Map Geomorphs

Wip Idea for Hex-based Wilderness Map Geomorphs

After spending a little time working on some underground dungeon geomorphs, I thought I might have a go at some Wilderness Geomorphs. These are abit inspired by the old boardgame "Mighty Empires" which I think was published by games workshop (??) Anyway, while this is a total work in progress, I was wondering if anyone else had done anything like this ( hexagonal geomorphs that is.)

hope you enjoy, let me know what you think.
    muddle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HEX-GEOMORPHS.jpg 
Views:	1405 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	38521  

Note: each individual small hex is a geomorph, they are grouped based on similarity. the idea is that these could be rearranged to create all sort of different maps ( once the set is completed. ) Hopefully everybody is familiar with the geomorph concept. : )

Blog Entries

Have a good search over the whole guild for hex maps. I have a keyword lookup in my sig and I think hex is in there too. Only recently I did a little demo of terrain based hex tiles for some paintball organizer.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I remember playing Mighty Empires. I loved the way the map generation worked.. the group of friends I played with were awesome and I remember some surprisingly realistic looking layouts.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks good, nice colors
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I used to have Mighty Empires too. I thought the geomorphs it had worked really well (although the cardstock was a little thin - Avalon Hill just spoiled us when it came production quality) and we loved the little models. The rules left a lot to be desired and we were always trying for a long time to write a set of house rules but (as always) never finished them.

I really like what you have done...making good looking connecting mountain geos is going to be a toughie though.

Yep, Mountains are going to be difficult. I am going to focus my efforts on just a few mountain tiles over the next few days... will post updates when I have something more to show...

ok, here's an update. tried to really focus on mountains and hills this time. ( and even experimented a bit with swamps. ) The mountains were tough to do, and this is still not a bit of a rough draft. But after numerous experiments and attempts at creating mountains these are the first ones I ma starting to be happy with. Any comments are welcome, particularly in regards to the mountains, hills and swamp hexes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geomorphs.jpg 
Views:	728 
Size:	258.8 KB 
ID:	38585  

Guild Adept

Very nice. Why don't you show us a composition? That would help in judging how the hexes all work together.

I would love to. but i simply have not finished that many of the geomorph hexes yet. If you take a look at the first attachment image I posted, you will see 5 sets of coastline geomorphs. each set has 6 hexes. so to start to make a composition I would need at least 15 geomorphs for a partial group and 30 geomorphs for a complete group. so if coastlines are one group and mountains are another, ( and swamps, grasslands, forests, and hills, etc.) That's something like 6 groups. so 6 (groups) x 15 (hexes) would be 90 geomorphs to create just for a partial list of all the geomorphs. That is a lot more work I have yet to put into this, so it will take a while to get there. Hope all that makes sense. I was simply trying to make one or two geomorphs for each group just to get a rough idea of how it all might work. let me know if my explanation did not make any sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast