Thread: Adjusting floor texture in DD3

Guild Novice

Question Adjusting floor texture in DD3

When I use the floor drawing tool in DD3 and pick and floor background, I don't know how to adjust the scale of the items within the floor pattern. In other words, if I pick a tiled floor, how do I adjust the size of the tiles themselves?

Click on the FS: box (fill styles) in the upper right corner and in the Fill Styles Properties dialog box select the Bitmap files tab. In the Fill Style Name: pull down menu select the name of the fill style of the flooring you are using. Make sure Tile to Fill is checked and then make sure the Scaled box is checked, then you can adjust the Width: and Height: of the fill style to scale it to something more appropriate.

More info: http://www.profantasy.com/cchelp/cc3...itmapfiles.htm
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Guild Novice

Okay, I tried that, but it doesn't seem to matter what values I enter. The tiles come out looking the same. Just so you know exactly what I'm doing--I'm using the pattern called "Floor, Tiles L Brown" from the menu that comes up when I right-click the Draw Floor button. I can't seem to adjust the size of the tiles at all. What am I missing?

Ah, I'm sorry - you are using the vector symbols and fills, not the bitmap (PNG artwork) fills. It's been awhile since I've worked with those - I'm pretty sure you have to do something different and not as straightforward to rescale them. Let me take a look at get back to you...
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Ok, here's what you need to do:

1. Go into the Symbol Manager from the main menu: Symbols -> Symbol Manager
    2. At the top, check the box that says "Show fill style symbols" if it isn't checked already.
    3. In the symbols listed in the scroll box, find and select the symbol Tile Brown L Fill.
    4. Select the Scale button on the right side.
    5. Enter a value you want to scale the symbol by in the "Scale selected symbols by:" box (e.g. 2 for twice as big, 10 for ten times as big, 0.5 for half as big)
    6. Hit OK, then hit OK again to get out of the Symbol Manager.
    7. Save your map.

The draw tool should now draw the floor with the symbol scaled larger or smaller depending on what you chose above. Not that since the symbol definition you just scaled is defined in your existing map, this change will effect the size of the symbol in this map only.

Hope that helps.
    jaerdaph

Guild Novice

Okay, that has gotten me a step in the right direction, but here's the new dilemma: When I re-scaled the fill style on the floor, the tiles got smaller (as I wanted) but the entire tile pattern also shrank and left blank spots on the brown background. In other words, the 9 tiles that covered the floor from wall to wall just became 9 smaller tiles in the middle of the room with the rest of the room untiled. What now?

Yeah, it's really tricky to reset the defaults because you have to go so many different places to do that. There might be an easier solution, however, that is so obvious that naturally I didn't see it.

Either reset everything to the way it was or start a new map. Now *Right* click on the Floor button to get the floors Select Drawing Tool dialog box and select Floor, Tiles S Brown (S = small). It uses the exact same symbol/pattern, but at about 1/4 the size of the L Brown version, so it looks more like regular brick.

See if that works better for you.
    jaerdaph

Quote Originally Posted by jaerdaph View Post
    Yeah, it's really tricky to reset the defaults because you have to go so many different places to do that.
    Just to clarify that further - I think you still have to go into the drawing tool, select advanced view and adjust some settings. Note that changing the drawing tool in this way WILL effect other maps (unless you save the tool under a new name). I'm not exactly sure what would have to be adjusted and how, so it might just be easier to switch to the Floor, Tiles S Brown instead.

So rescale your symbol back to the original size* like you did above to get it smaller and try using that drawing tool instead.

*If you scaled the symbol to .25 the original size, for example, rescale it now by a factor of 4. If you rescaled it to 0.5 the original size, rescale it back now by a factor of 2 etc.
    jaerdaph