Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commercial World Map WIP - for Blackstar Games

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks everyone

@djekspek: Thanks for the link to that. I hadn't seen the huge version. I see what you mean. It looks like a good chunk of (generated? pasted?) mountain data is used for the mountain textures. I really hadn't realised just how much texture was built into that. It's beautifully composited, but I honestly thought it was painted rather than texture work. Very interesting - thanks.

@Ascension - I agree about the Fable map - I'd love to see a huge version of that. It must be hand done - there's no way all those mountains would fall into place otherwise.

@Ravells Cheers I think that comes from being totally over optimistic about how quick a job will be and then being forced to actually deliver it! Nothing like an inspiring commission to force you to push the boundaries.

@Eilathen - I think there will be a lot of good fluff in the setting. Much of the crunch for PF settings is already delivered in the published rules so it gives third party settings the freedom to use wordcount for worldbuilding. However I haven't seen the text for this so I can't give you a more precise answer than that.

indeed the Thedas map isn't very impressive zoomed-in and indeed I think there's a lot of pre-rendered texture/existing dem data on it, with some handpainted accents, but somehow (s)he managed to make it look very awesome. Ok, here's the Albion map at hi-res, hope you guys aren't as dissappointed. It's a little more sophisticated with painted mountains in at least two layers, the lower layer is overlayed (It may be possible there's some stitched pre-rendered dem data underneath some of the mountains, used as a base).... Hmm, sorry Torstan for hijacking this thread, but in my opinion your new style can rival with the ones that are mentioned, so Blackstar must be thrilled with your work. cheers, DJ

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Fantastic!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The map looks really, really awesome, man. Especially the sea, for me.

Great job Torstan. I'm sure that anyone who sees this map is wondering who did that and how. It's gorgeous.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks.

And no worries about the threadjack DJ - I couldn't find the high res version. Interesting to see that close up. I can see the technique in there - and it does look hand done and not that complicated. Interesting.

Eyecandy <3 I do love those mountains! Great work.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12