Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commercial World Map WIP - for Blackstar Games

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default Commercial World Map WIP - for Blackstar Games

So I was asked to do a map of a world for Blackstar Games and they were up for letting me post a little preview of the world map in progress. Here's the result so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SaemyyrWebPreview.jpg 
Views:	1232 
Size:	222.2 KB 
ID:	38526

The plan was to s a Dragon Age-esque map in a hand drawn satellite style. That turned out to be a little tricky!

It's a new style - especially the mountains - and that took a little time pinning down. Here's a little walkthrough of the way I went about building up the map. Each step is a new layer, so there's a good chunk of experimentation in there. Most of the layers are overlay layers, with a hard light for the bright mountain highlights.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MountainsWalkthrough.gif 
Views:	339 
Size:	880.2 KB 
ID:	38527

The next step is all the decoration - labels, scales, borders and so on. I'll post the final once it's approved and done.

This is a commission so it's rights reserved. There's a few more details on the blog.

Looking great so far. Obviously they made a good choice in hiring you.

Fantastic! I really like this new style T, and thanks for sharing the little walk through of how you did it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks great so far, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

I must add my vote to the "fantastic"!

That looks very good man! Some time ago, I also tried to emulate the Thedas map, the mountain work of that map is just amazing... If you look at a high-res version of the Thedas map, you can see that a lot of texture was used (including some existing DEM I assume) and that it seems to be all about painting at a huge canvas (about 6x bigger then teh final map) to create this kind of effect. cheers, DJ

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

When you look at that Thedas map that big, isn't so impressive is it? Anyone of of us could do that. I think many have gone way beyond Thedas. I'd like to see a really large version of Albion and see how it measures up.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Albion <3. But yes, I kind of noticed that when I zoomed in. I certainly couldn't do that, but you guys could.

Torstan that is simply stunning work. Those mountains are just glorious. As I said before (and will no doubt continue to say in the future) I just love the way you push yourself to new heights rather than repeat the same style over and over again.

Wow, this is fantastic! I really really dig that style and the map (shapes of the landmass). Well done! Have some rep. .

Too bad i have no interest in d20 and its derivatives. I have to check out the fluff vs. crunch ratio of the book, if possible. Maybe it's worth buying just for the world info.

Anyway, great job.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast