Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redo of an RPG city

Guild Novice

Ahh - with a 'Roman' town then yes you would get much more planning and organisation of the layout - makes perfect sense. So other than a legend as Ascension mentioned it's looking really good. One thought - do they cremate their dead? Can't see a cemetary anywhere - though that may not be needed. Always like to have a nice clear cemetary on my city maps - where else can the local necromancer source his body parts.

Entirely irrelevant aside - this would be a good arguement for cultures in magical worlds adopting cremation.... no more 'corporeal' undead.

The fact is that people living by the seaside prefer to be bury "in the sea", and those who can afford it are cremated and placed in urns in the homes of their families. It is actually due to the "popularity" of necromancers throughout the country that this measure was taken. Perhaps there are leftovers of the original cemetery, but I don't want to indicate that on the map- some things are best not discovered by gamers
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

Default Next Round

Here comes my next draft: Colour! And some minor atmosphere items (trees, boats, grass) to spice things up a bit. I'm not entirely satisfied with it yet, but I cannot really figure it what still puzzles me about it. Anyway, I guess I'll start lettering now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neetha-coloured.pdf 
Views:	158 
Size:	3.87 MB 
ID:	38563

Sorry for the file size, still working on that problem. Guess that's the occupational hazard of working with PS...
    Now that the warm fuzzy part is over we can get back to the ritual dismemberments. Oh wait, it's not Tuesday is it?

oooooooohhhhh.......I'm sorry to say this, I'm really sorry....but the grayscale version looks miles better to me. Just my pov of course!

For me the grayscale one looks really sharp, with the colour it looks clunky

And I'm sorry....because I can see the amount of work you've put in the shading.

Shading was actually pretty easy oO I also like the greyscale better for playing, this is more like a test of styles. Sad you didn't like it.

Guild Adept

question, why use pdf, and not jpg, png or whatever, for showing your map here? Besides that, very nice work.

Guild Novice

I agree with Ravells - I like the grayscale style more - maybe it's that old school, simple feel to it, I don't know. But as a player aid I think it's the better option. Not that I dislike the new one, just the preference.

As to some comments on the coloured version... I really like the fields and the other out of town areas, but in town something looks odd, and like you I'm not sure what. I think it might be the roads - maybe a little bit of a cobblestone texture or something on them just to put them more in line with everywhere else where colours have at least some variation. And the sharp line between the light grey of the streets and the dark grey of the quay-side looks a little odd - is it supposed to signify something?

A part of me wonders why the town hasn't fortified the uncultivated hill just east of the keep - seems the obvious place for an enemy to try and mount siege weapons to me. Might be worth a small tower? Though that may also be constrained by the fact you're fitting this map into an existing setting.

Guild Novice

The original city you speak of must be Loudwater in it's D&D 4th edition craptastic map.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12