Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for encounter maps for iPad game prototyping

Default Looking for encounter maps for iPad game prototyping

Hi folks.

First off, forgive me if this isn't the proper forum to post this sort of request.

I'm looking for [EDIT] finished / OR UNFINISHED[EDIT] encounter maps of ANY KIND OR QUALITY for an iPad app I'm working on in my spare time. I'm hoping folks would be nice enough to let me borrow a few for prototyping only (I'm not gonna fly off with them and slap an app on the Apple Store or redistribute them in any way!!!) a simple physics engine and basic AI interaction. Matter of fact, I've already got the physics editor and simple seeking-AI in place and working fine. I just haven't had the time (or the skill yet) to slap many together using CC3 and DD.

Here's what I currently do to flesh out a finished map:

http://vimeo.com/26550423

I wanted to put it through it's paces with other folk's maps in order to identify unforeseen issues on a variety of different map types.

Sure, I could just troll through the forums here and snatch a bunch on my own, but that's not very cool to do plus I wanted to show folks what their maps looked like when brought to life in a simple iPad app.

The app itself is not meant as a VTT, rather, a simple "casual-esque" (rad, a new word?!) single engagement, quick resolution battle here and there.

I'll take whatever folks can spare, and I appreciate anyone's help in advance!

Best,
    Mario
    Last edited by booticus; 09-18-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Quite a lot of people map with a CC license which is quite free so if you can get one where its attribution only or non commercial and you are not selling the map then I would have thought that this would be alright. If the app is sold as a demo with the map in it then that would not be ok. Some people here just make them public domain too but there is no method to seach for them and check which ones are or are not - you will have to look at the text.

BTW, I watched the video (but without any sound if there was any) and I totally don't get what the point of the app is from that.

Hi RedRobes! Thanks for the feedback! You are quite right about the CC licensing , I found that out from the fellas over there at profantasy!

Presently, I'm nowhere near publishing the app. I'm just looking for any maps that folks have made so I can "put them through the ringer" with my humble engine.

The video is not meant to demo a complete, finished product. It's more a tech demo for folks in the Corona forums (The engine I use to develop for the iPad and iPhone) which is probably why you totally didn't get what the app was.
    When it comes time to actually start moving the product towards completion, I'm planning to hire folks to do maps for the final product. I have no problem paying folks for their work!

Thanks again!

Mario

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ltiple-VTT-WIP

Go ahead and use any maps on that page. Haven't updated in a bit.. But oh well.

Not sure on what kind of maps you are looking for but I have some underground maps on the dungeon forum you are free to use for testing your app.

@eViLe_eAgLe Thank you very much! It looks great, exactly what I am after. I'll post links to videos/screenshots as I build in some functionality!

@Vascant: Absolutely! Do you have a link? Please post it! Can't wait to try it out too!

Quote Originally Posted by booticus View Post
    @Vascant: Absolutely! Do you have a link? Please post it! Can't wait to try it out too!
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...derground-Maps

You could also tryout some hand drawn esque maps for seeing how it works with that type or something. Fine if you don't use em'.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...er-dungeon-map.

@eVile_eAgLe: I got a chance to run your trader stop through the process and have a video here:

It only displays the upper left portion of the map, I have to whip up a scrolling joystick so we can roam around on the entire map. But I'm really stoked that you let me try that map out. Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I'm going to add projectile weapons testing soon so we can observe how things will work. Glad I found some people to donate some maps for testing, hope there's more!

Next up, the underground maps that Vascant gave me, we'll see how things go with those!

Appreciate any feedback or info!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have done a few encounter style maps that are you are welcome to use as well. The link to my Finished Map gallery is in my sig. Good luck
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast