Thread: This is my first attempt at a map of any kind. Any feedback would be lovely (:

Help This is my first attempt at a map of any kind. Any feedback would be lovely (:

Hi guys, new here! This is the first map I've made. It's incomplete, and nothing's named or labelled, it's just a raw regional map with some terrain, etc.

If anyone could give me any feedback that would be lovely!
    I'm not really sure how to improve this any further from the level I've got to now!
    I realise it maybe looks a bit juvenile, so I'm trying to add more detail etc in the same type of style.
    I'm using photoshop CS5, and have some basic experience with it (however mainly with photo editing, not creative work such as painting or map making!)

Thanks,

Atarius
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	50610  

Atarius Couple of things I noticed, take this with a grain of salt as I'm a beginner, can the straight lines of the lakes. This is probably PS forcing the lines along the pixels as you draw, well that has happened to me. Also make the road / pathways a little more random, such as following around mountain bases. If the dark green / brown area are the mountains some of the roads take the most difficult route, roads will more or less follow the path of least resistance. Check out the tutorial section and I think it will help you out. Good start

Guild Novice

I like the overall shape of your land mass, and the big wide river flowing into the middle in particular. Nice addition of small islands as well. Since you are using photoshop, may I humbly suggest checking out the Saderan tutorial (by Tear, found here). It is relatively simple to follow, as long as you take your time, and gets some pretty stunning results, even on your first try. I'm currently working on my second Saderan based map, and loving it so far.

Keep working on this one though, maybe trying to redo it using the Saderan techniques. Very nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Thrum View Post
    I like the overall shape of your land mass, and the big wide river flowing into the middle in particular. Nice addition of small islands as well. Since you are using photoshop, may I humbly suggest checking out the Saderan tutorial (by Tear, found here). It is relatively simple to follow, as long as you take your time, and gets some pretty stunning results, even on your first try. I'm currently working on my second Saderan based map, and loving it so far.

Keep working on this one though, maybe trying to redo it using the Saderan techniques. Very nice work!
    Thank you kindly for your feedback, I will check the tutorial out and see where it takes me!

Cheers Vellum, got some stuff to be working on now!