Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LordNightwinter reporting for geekery!

Post LordNightwinter reporting for geekery!

I have been pondering creating a map for a book I have finished for some time now. Since the story is in the hands of an editor I figured why the hell not. I ran across one of Ascension's tutorials in Google, namely Antique Maps in Photoshop. From there I created my own map (included below) of Anub'Volthrak, the desert continent my book is centered in and around. Honestly I believe I'll be around for a long stay after browsing the talent on this board.

I'm an IT Project Manager by trade with experience in web design, SharePoint, graphics design, programming, and a smattering of other things that are generally IT related. My free time is spent PC gaming or Pen-and-Paper gaming. I've been a DM/GM for 19 years and I've survived parties in everything from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Shadowrun, and all editions of Dungeons and Dragons.

As I said above I'm a fantasy writer with a completed manuscript that is currently being murdered by my editor. Anyway a collective thanks for the articles and tutorials here guys, big help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paper Map (Final, Adjusted Mileage).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	971.0 KB 
ID:	38665
    Last edited by LordNightwinter; 09-22-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome to the guild - You can make a WIP thread while you work for help and critique
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd set the color layers to overlay, soft light, or lower the opacity; looks kinda odd right now. But, maybe that's what you were going for
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Actually it was but I am still tweaking with it. I made the mistake of flattening the image and doing the tears so I have to start over from that step but it wasn't much work so it's not so bad. I plan on making a WIP thread to test more colors and overlays.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by LordNightwinter View Post
    I made the mistake of flattening the image and doing the tears
    FYI, you don't need to flatten an image to do the tears effect and see how it would look.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

You appear to have an unnatural river situation. Unless I am misreading it, the Aniyle River in Anub'Volthrak splits in two and goes on to flow into the ocean in two widely separated spots. That doesn't happen. Oh, now I see another one up in the Evenflow, but at least there's a city there that suggests it might be a canal bridging two tributaries for trade to Bodi.

Rivers start in the highlands and flow to the sea. As they do, they join up. They don't split, except around islands (the size of which is generally quite small) or in deltas (where they flow in multiple channels that change rather quickly) which take up a very small part of the river where it flows over flat ground into the sea.

I know what you mean and the long and short of it is that the laws of nature as we know it don't actually work the same in this world. There are several examples of fantastic or physics defying terrain in the world, especially in this region where the whole destruction of the world started. It's explained a little in the WIP thread above but as I said there I can't go into much detail without spoiling things about the book. The Aniyle in particular flows backwards from the ocean back up into the continent but it is all fresh water, half way through the river it literally disappears into nothing and begins flowing the other way, explaining the two forks. The part that will blow your mind is that the other half on the continent is salt water. The areas closer to the Astral Fade are all 'abnormal' in some form or another. Did that make sense? Probably not.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast