Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randomonia... Or Should I Re-Introduce Myself...

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip Randomonia... Or Should I Re-Introduce Myself...

WOW..it's been a little while (like 4 months) since I've visited the guild and for that I aplogize. I have been a member for a year now and to celebrate (and to make sure I remember what I am doing I present "Randomonia" A technique "refresher course" if you will. I'm using GIMP as usual.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randomonia.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	38626
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Welcome back JT, I wondered where you had gotten off to. Good to see you back!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Blog Entries

Thanks Arsheesh. It's good to be back

More Work (and Re-Work) on "Randomonia" I've decide that the stroke around the landmasses had to go, it didn't look "organic" enough. Also I removed all the rivers, they were too wide and looked silly. I removed all the labeling on this too as although clever (IMO) in the beginning the word "random" in a hundred different languages got tedious quickly.

Views:	74 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	38637
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Glad to see you back! I tried gimp.. Never could get the hang of it so stuck with PS. Don't have anything to say right now, sorry.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome back jt - and you come back shootin'
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Wip

Thanks everyone for the kind words I'm really spending a lot of time on this to get the overall "feel" right. I've deleted the mountains in this version as they were horrible. i think I have the overall look I am going for on the landmasses although that might change too the more I look at it. I want to get the large landmasses as done as I can get them before I move on to the smaller ones (the far northern one will be ice covered). I need to refresh myself on mountain making as well as making rivers that don't look silly.

Views:	83 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	38646

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

I made some more progress on this today. Thanks to RobA's awesome Mountain Tutorial (which I knew about but had forgotten..) I finally have some mountains that I can be proud of. I spent a good deal of time working on the blending of the mountains and the landmass and I am pretty satisfied with the results. (for now). I lowered the opacity of the mountains just a bit as well as I think it takes some of the "regularity" out of them. (drawing less regular selections would have helped too..) Next up are rivers. I'm thinking that I'm not going to label this and just put it out there if anyone would like to use it for anything. Of course as often as I change my mind that could change at any moment..
    *EDIT* Whoops.. forgot to crop the edge of the image (hence the blue line) I'll fix that..

Views:	72 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	38670

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    I made some more progress on this today. Thanks to RobA's awesome Mountain Tutorial (which I knew about but had forgotten..) I finally have some mountains that I can be proud of. I spent a good deal of time working on the blending of the mountains and the landmass and I am pretty satisfied with the results.
    Nice mountains! Glad the tut still works for you. The key is always in the blending...

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Wip

Thanks Rob On the backs of giants do I step... More RobA goodness for some Tapered Rivers. Finding just the right color was a problem and I ended up changing the color of my "shallows" to find something that worked with the rivers.

Views:	71 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	38671

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast