Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much plausible is this map from the game Just Cause 2?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    As pointed out the hydrology is the craziest bit.
    - What look like rivers going to multiple sea points
    - What look like deltas (or maybe just are supposed to be swamps?) that have formed in situations where deltas would never have formed (sediment deposits from rivers) as bizarre scales
    - "river" widths look way to large using the other visual indicators and features as a scale (since there is no scale).

Also the roads look like a mess of spaghetti. Roads are expensive and effort intensive to build and many seem to go all over the place in rough looking terrain for no reason other than to look cool, it seems.

BUT - since it is a "fantastical" (if not fantasy) world, none of these points are really that relevant.

-Rob A>
    The "delta" near point 13 is a big swamp if I remember right. As long as I remember, the "zig-zags" of the roads are due terrain elevation, but I may be wrong (there are more than a full year that I played this game).

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cantab View Post
    There's no scale indicator, but the scale can be inferred since grid positions are given for the locations. (OK "m" could be metres or miles, but considering the size of the runways, and that the cloverleafs are visible, it must be metres).

In the game the place is ruled by a dictator (not sure how long it's been that way for), which may rationalise the roads to nowhere.
    Yes, there is not scale indicator but at least the Airports and others big constructions are in scale with the rest of the map. And in their site, the developers said that the area is "400 square mile island"

Quote Originally Posted by Mateus090985 View Post
    The "delta" near point 13 is a big swamp if I remember right. As long as I remember, the "zig-zags" of the roads are due terrain elevation, but I may be wrong (there are more than a full year that I played this game).
    I realize some of the roads are (well done) switchbacks but others just seem "unneeded" and circuitous.

-Rob A>

Well, I personally have no problem what so ever with the 'Roads all over the place' issue with the island. I have personally been to an island that has roads that far outnumber these roads:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...m&z=11&vpsrc=6

This is the Island of Jeju (or Cheju depending) in Korea (know for having a population of women that outnumbers the men by almost 5:1).

http://wikitravel.org/en/Jeju

Again, not a very large island (The largest island, Jeju-do, lies off the southwest corner of the peninsula and has a land area of 1,825 square kilometers.) or 1140 square miles. This roughly 33 x 33 miles, while 400 square miles is 20 x 20 miles. So, Jeju is not that much bigger, whith a crap load of roads everywhere, and lot of them Circuitous as well.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Worst. Rivers. Ever.
    Pretty map tho.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12