Thread: Etarek Landing Sites

Wip Etarek Landing Sites

This map is a small part of my larger conworlding project, Etarek. The idea is that the Etar - basically humans in a parallel universe - had a small interstellar empire many years ago (I haven't worked out how long ago yet), but due to a nearby star going supernova they were forced to flee their section of the galaxy and seek refuge on a new world.

They had warning enough of the supernova to build giant ships to ferry people to their new home, but governments couldn't afford the cost and three wealthy organisations provided salvation to the people by building huge colonising ships. The first was a right-wing political organisation that favours the Tahi - a particular race - called the United Tahi Council. They selected their colonists according to their rigid view of what was good for the gene pool. The second was a gigantic interglobal corporation called Toregi Technologies. They did not select their passengers, but the places on their ships were worth so much money that only the wealthy could afford the luxury of escaping vapourisation on their ships. The third organisation is a religious one called the Holy Eraetan Order, who chose their passengers according to their faith in their religious teachings, along with the actions of each planet or nation.

These are the points where the ships landed. After a long journey, only a fraction of the colonial fleet made it to their paradise, so only 16 out of the many dozens of ships made it onto Etarek's surface.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Landing-Sites-Map.jpg 
Views:	589 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	38698

Any feedback is really helpful. I'm not entirely happy with how professional this map looks, but I am currently working on Etarek's climate, so there will be richer maps coming in the future.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like a good start, and sounds like a fun, interesting project. Looking forward to seeing it progress.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice.. and cool backstory too
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I really like the mountain relief, I wonder how you did that.

I'd think about using anti-aliasing on your display versions and maybe using thinner grid lines.

My 3 cents.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will try and use anti-aliasing and reduce the grid line width. I think you're right on those points.

The relief layer was created in Wilbur. It's the greyscale lighted texture I think. Or I may have exported it as a PNG from FTPro.

Both those programs are invaluable for someone like me who doesn't have the patience to sit and draw mountain ranges from scratch. That said, if you put a bit of effort into creating a landscape on these, you can get something that looks really unique relatively easily.

I've made those corrections and I think it looks much better now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Landing-Sites-Map.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	38732

Any more criticisms or tips?

Not criticisms or tips, just 2 questions:

1. are you going to indicate biomes or elevations with colours on the map?
    2. are you planning on having rivers on the map?

1. Yes. I've just figured out the biomes and I'm working on a satellite image of the world right now.
    2. I have rivers and will include them in future maps, but this one was a very basic overview so the landing sites wouldn't get obscured.

This is really cool! I like the little flags.
    M

I like the flags too. And can't wait to see how it turns out further on