Thread: Practice map thoughts.

Wip Practice map thoughts.

Hello everyone, I just joined this website a few days ago and I have already gained some useful information in map making. I'm posting a practice map that I have been messing around with using various filters/layer effects and lighting differences. I used Ascensions tut but then decided to change pretty much everything, however, that being said his tut was extremely useful in the beginnings and I'm glad that such wonderful tuts exist on this website. The reason I'm posting this map is because I'm interested in what people think about the forest representation, not everything is finalized yet and this map is very bare bares at the moment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	practice island.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	39611

Welcome to the Guild, offtoruin! I find the forest to actually be the best element in your map - it stands out being more natural-looking than the rest. Other than the forest the colors on the map are quite bright and saturated, although the bump mapping on the terrain seems about right.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yep, like the forest best too - the very saturated colors is a bit much on the eyes and actually makes the continent look a little blurry - but nice start, keep it up
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I like it bright and happy it looks like a happy land of bunnies and unicorns!

Thanks for the replies guys, yeah I know the island is really bright but I hadn't finished with the island yet, this is a more updated pick and I think it looks more natural. I've finished the forest looks and have applied the final touches to the land layers. Let me know what you guys think about the new changes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	practice island2.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	742.7 KB 
ID:	39615

I'm liking it so far!

The colors look more "earthy" than in the previous image, and I love how the forest "pops" on the map; looks very 3D.