Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gary Gygax died this morning.

Info Gary Gygax died this morning.

I just learned that Gary Gygax, creator of TSR, D&D and Gencon, died this morning in Lake Geneva, WI at age 69.

First reported on Troll Lord forums...

Link: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewto...trolllordgames

Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Yes, Rest in peace. And thanks for everything. I never met him but its really sad to hear that he died.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

From me, too, sincere condolences to his family and friends.

May he rest in peace, although I never knew him.
    He left a legacy so great it can barely be understood... Thanks, Mr. Gygax!

Post I met Gary at Gencon Indy 08

I only consider myself lucky in having met Gary Gygax at GENCON Indy 08, last August. Although he was apparently signing autographs and running some games, I ran into by accident. I'm a smoker and I had to sneak out of GENCON to have a cigarette. The southside entrance stairway had a gaggle of people surrounding the ashtrays puffing away.

I stepped out, and couldn't find a lighter, the guy next to me offered me his - I glanced at his name badge "Gary Gygax" and nearly fell down the stairs. He was great, fairly humble, talked about old-style D&D games, his favorite adventures, etc. Everyone was glued to everything he was saying - like a preacher in front of an impromtu congregation.

Although I saw a few other "stars" at the show, meeting Gary was the piece-de-resistance. I glad for the opportunity.

He will be greatly missed.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Somtimes I wish I could have met him, mostly though I am happy we haven't, because we would probably differ grandly in opinions about the RPG

But nonetheless I honour him... and would have liked to meet him anyways *g*

To be honest I even cried quite a bit The works of Gygax and his peers made my messed-up youth worth the while

Guild Journeyer

My "Meeting Gary Gygax" story is much like GP's. I save up as a young 20-something to go to a con and find out that two people that inspired me the most would be there, Gary Gygax and Larry Elmore. I go to Larry's booth and chat with him for a good 20 minutes talkign about much I loved his work and getting him to sign one of his books. Then I turn around and the next guy to walk up to the booth is Gary Gygax. He shakes Larry's hand and they both turn to me. I get introduced to Gary Gygax by Larry Elmore. My nerd heart practically exploded.

I don't think I was able to actually speak until after my friends dragged me away.

i knew i shouldn't have checked the boards tonight before playing a game. i don't know how i'm going to run this one tonight. i'm speechless, almost in tears. this man and his game gave me so many great memories....

he left a mozart like legacy, one that will never be overshadowed. god speed my freind, you gave us all something that lives past your years. i'm sure you'll be gaming in heaven with all those lost gamers who have gone before.

though we only talked a few times, i feel this guy would have been one of my best freinds. i can say nothing more. i'm still shocked.

I too have a Gameprinter/Glenzilla story from Gen Con 08.

I had a few competitons to attend at Gen Con and so I figured I would not have the chance to actually meet Mr Gygax. On the final day of the Con, I am sitting in the Hyatt with some friends killing time before going to the airport when I see a Gentleman coming up in a Scooter and I think to myself: "He sure looks like Gary Gygax, but I didn't think he was that old or infirm he needed one."

So I go up and ask if he is indeed Gary Gygax, and he says Yes he is. I am in geek heaven, just him, me and his wife and assistant. No one else around. I told him how much I enjoyed the game, and asked he would be willing to sign my hardcover book "Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk" I knew he never wrote the book, but I also knew that this book was based on his greater works. Ever the humble man, Gary said sure, he would be honoured to sign the book.

Now, with his passing this book is even more precious to me any other object in my house.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

For my part, I’m sorry that I will never have the chance to meet him in real live, but I did talk once with him on an internet forum about the future of D&D (the 3rd edition and so). It was fun to see that a guy like him still take the time to hear our comments and take some notes from good points we have instead of doing like many big shoot and saying that it will be as they wishes and that’s it.

All the RPG society will dearly miss him.
    My sincere condolences to his family.

But I know that up there they were just bored so they call him to get a good game running,
    And so I’m sure we will see him soon enough when we go visit…

Cheer Gary!

here is a link to a short biography of him: Gary Gygax

Alu.
    Last edited by alucard339; 03-05-2008 at 06:10 AM.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast