Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commission: Oaxaca in Mexico

Default Commission: Oaxaca in Mexico

This was a really interesting commission (posted here), to do a real world map of the state of Oaxaca in Mexico for an academic publication. Made with Fractal Terrains, Photoshop and Serif Drawplus.

It had to be done in Greyscale and the author really wanted to show how mountainous the region is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	for CG watermarked.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	38772  

Those mountains look so real! Great job Ravs, I don't know how you did it, but it looks fantastic.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks ravells, I've been looking for that road to San Juan Batista Tuxtepec.

Nice map. Love the detail on the mountains.
    "The only things that will be left after the Apocalypse will be Twitter and cockroaches. So prepare carefully!" ~ Needamedic

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Lovely map, Ravs. I would have no idea how to even start a map such as that. :S Great stuff.

Edit: Bah. I'll come back to you with some rep once I've spread it around some more.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Missed it yesterday. Good work, a tidy and informative map. Which part have you done in PS and which in SD?

Cheers everyone.

@Katto: The process was to download the DEM data from the USGS site. The total area came split in 4 parts. I loaded each part into Fractal Terrains and exported them as .bmp files. Brought these into photoshop and stitched them together and cropped them (could have done that in Drawplus now I come to think of it). Then I took the resulting image into Drawplus and put in all the labels, roads etc.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's crazy good. So clean and crisp, which is sometimes difficult with grayscale... nice.

This looks awesome. How did you get it into FT as a starting point? I love how realistic the mountains are. They don't look fractal at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast