Thread: Marisia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Wip Marisia

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place!

I started using photoshop for the first time at the weekend so this has been a really steep learning curve for me. Basically I just wanted a rough map to help me with my writing but having spent some time on this forum over the last few days started to feel a bit more inspired to create something that looked a bit prettier than just a few scribbles. My artistic tendencies only stretch as far as matchstick people so this has been somewhat of a challenge to me and also eye opening in that I've discovered you don't need to be particularly artistic or talented to create some nice looking work - you just need a bit of imagination.

This map is for the first place encountered in the book I am working on, it is a relatively small country with an even climate. It is very much a work in progress while I start to get to grip with various techniques and so I don't expect the finished version to look very much like this at all. Prime example of my newbie mistakes is that I only realised a few hours ago that every time I make a new layer, I probably shouldn't do it by copying the work I've already done (so that's how layers work!! lol).

I'm really enjoying working on this and this site is a fantastic resource.

So, here is the beginnings of Marisia - please be gentle with me as it's all one big experiment at the moment

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marisia v6.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	38778

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

All I can say is it looks pretty darned good for a first attempt! Your hills/mts are nifty looking.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the feedback Diamond - I used Flawedspirit's tutorial on Land/Mountain texture

I agree with Diamond, a very nice start. One thing that I would recommend would be to turn down the opacity on the sea texture layer: it's a bit bumpy. Otherwise it's looking pretty good.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

try putting a layer of light blue/dark blue clouds over the ocean, putting it on overlay, and turning down the opacity.
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the feedback guys - especially the tips on the ocean. I had just played about with the background when starting out and not really bothered with is since as I was concentrating on the land mass but it was definitely something I wanted to fix up before finishing it as it's pretty ugly lol

I did put up a reply yesterday but it got held up for moderation, probably because there was a link in it. I was basically saying that I had used Flawedspirit's tutorial on land and mountain texture to get that effect.