Hello All,

I have recently started mapping the world for my fantasy novel, and here is the first part. The world basically consists of two larger continents, and a number of islands varying in shape and size. This is one of the middle-sized islands between them, in a subtropical region. What I want to do is perfect this island to my needs, and move to other regions once I am happy with it.
This map was done in Photoshop, mostly by following rpgmapmaker's excellent tutorials and techniques plus a few additions I picked up from here and there.
Some of the shortcomings, I think I am aware of:
1- Coastlines: They don't really seem that realistic to me, it could use a little fine tuning.
2- Mountains: I am undecided about this one, they seem rather rough or lacking detail, if you know what I mean. I could try the Saderan tutorial by Tear or the Swiss Style Relief Shading tutorial by Ascension for better mountains.
3- Symbols for towns, villages, etc: Not happy with them, if you know a good set of symbols that could work with this map, please let me know.

All in all, I would be very grateful if you could elaborate on the points above, and of course, throw in new ones.

Thanks in advance!!