Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Mountains, quick regional map

Map Silver Mountains, quick regional map

Thought I would share this as I haven't posted in a while.

I created the sketch for the following map a few weekends ago, while running an impromptu RPG game session for some of my friend's kids. The kids were new to RP and really had a blast creating characters, exploring, and generally getting to be awesome in the fantasy setting.

More recently they were asking their dad when we would play the game again, and if they could have the map, rules, characters, etc. to play on their own and make their own adventures. I picked up the scribbled 'in-game' map and scanned it into Photoshop. ~30 minutes later I sent them a link to the updated map shown below.

...right after that they asked how I made it, so I threw together a slideshow of my layer build up (also shown below).

What do you think...of either item?

Wow, I think it looks absolutely, absolutely stunning. The style is great, and the details are perfect. Maybe, just a little bit of more shading on the woods to make them stand out more?

Blog Entries

Deceptively simple but with great artistic qualities. Love it.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done..
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Ramah: I get that you are probably referring to the style being simple. But it is simple in other ways too: Normally I spend way too much time on things like this, but I forced myself to just draw it without a lot of erasing and reworking in an attempt to make it perfect. As I said, it was probably ~30 minutes of draw time. (Not including scanning, posting, making the slideshow.) At that rate I can actually do a lot of these.

...The adventurers have stated that their intent is to travel over to explore the abandoned mines in the east, based on some rumors they found last time. May have to do up some underground mine encounter maps for that session...If I can force myself to stick to quick line drawings vs. 'production' prints it may be achievable before next game.

I second Ramah's comment! Very cool.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Nice work! Love the sketchy style.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very pretty - and I totally agree on the time spent. 30 mins is fantastic for that level of detail! Lovely work.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sketchy for the win. Very nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast