Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best projection for overlapping regional maps?

Guild Journeyer

One guess is that he's done all his work in the projection, so of course they won't look distorted on the map, but the shapes would be different on the globe.
    I am a geology nerd.

Blog Entries

He released a KMZ file for Google Earth if I recall.

Handsome Rob knew a lot about the projections and made the map in the projection before starting. He chose the equal area because then he had not savagely distorted polar regions. When viewed as discreet maps these all looked great but they didn't fit together as a 2D sheet - I tried ! However they were accurate to the projection so that when mapped to a sphere they did fit to it perfectly. He mapped the whole globe and had a google earth interface to his world. It was possibly the most impressive atlas style but still unreal map we had here. The attention to detail was superb. He was a day job pro atlas mapper by trade so thats the level of the bar that is set for doing that kind of work.

Edit: Apologies, it was a KML File he made from his web site Here
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-03-2011 at 05:39 PM.

I saw the KML file. In fact, Sorol was a major inspiration for what I plan to do with Etarek. I understand that he used a lot of projections and joined them together on Google Earth, but how did he manage to import all of the overlapping bits of adjacent maps into projections next to them (my original question, step 4 in his tutorial)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laevex_esre View Post
    I saw the KML file. In fact, Sorol was a major inspiration for what I plan to do with Etarek. I understand that he used a lot of projections and joined them together on Google Earth, but how did he manage to import all of the overlapping bits of adjacent maps into projections next to them (my original question, step 4 in his tutorial)
    Presumably he reprojected so they were in a common projection.

Ideally you would have raw, georeferenced data. DEMs, and raw vector data in formats like GeoTIFF, GML, or Shapefile. This can then be projected as desired using standard GIS tools and then symbolized to get a map. Taking a symbolized graphic and trying to reproject it tends to be messy. It has its uses but won't generally make for an attractive result.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Presumably he reprojected so they were in a common projection.
    Does that mean he opened the previous projection on FTPro and just offset it on the X and Y axis rather than creating a new centre for the projection? Surely that would distort the maps hugely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laevex_esre View Post
    Does that mean he opened the previous projection on FTPro and just offset it on the X and Y axis rather than creating a new centre for the projection? Surely that would distort the maps hugely.
    Maybe he was using the same projection for the whole set of maps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12