View Poll Results: A 3D map outside the computer?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, let the building commence

22 91.67%
  • Nah, I'd rather not get my hands dirty.

2 8.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Make a physical 3D map

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would say yes, in respect of you drawing painting on the model/as part of the model
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

I think this is a good idea. I think you could use the computer as part of the art for it so long as the result is printed and folded to make something physically 3D. You could also bake a cake, use post it notes, paper craft, papier-mache, plasticene/playdoh or any other of items.

Blog Entries

I would hold to the computer being banned from the competition, cause I think seing somebody make textures and printing them to build something would be boring instead of hand painting their textures on something instead
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Guild Journeyer

Boring? Not really. I mean you've still got to handle the 3D construction.
    I am a geology nerd.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cantab View Post
    Boring? Not really. I mean you've still got to handle the 3D construction.
    Yeah, just coming up with a mechanism would be interesting, whether you go with layers, or try to come up with some sort of folded paper shell, or whatever.

Blog Entries

the whole idea with the challenge was to get people away from the computer and use their hands ... there are plenty of options to play with 3D in other challenges
    regs tilt

Blog Entries

I just think the final result should be a physical object and if you used a computer as part of making it then thats ok but the result is not a flat print or a screen image then I think its fine. If you could not have used some 3D app to design the print so that you cut and fold it into a real object then I think you would miss out on some peoples ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Inspired by RE's "make a map by hand" challenge suggestion, I think it would be cool to make a map by hand but in 3D. You could use anything you wanted, legos, clay, milk cartons, resin, bones and skulls just as long as the only thing you use the computer for is uploading the picture of your creation
    Honored to be an inspiration! Oddly enough, despite high votes, the "make a map by hand" challenge has not appeared. Which is fine--I have been too busy lately to actually participate in challenges, and I definitely want to be able to do the ones I suggest!

Blog Entries

the decision process for choosing the challenges are a difficult one, requiring pulling rabbits from hats, shooting dice from a cannon and eating strangely colored mushrooms - I'm sure we'll get to your suggestion soon
    regs tilt

Guild Apprentice

This is a great idea! It reminds me of making dioramas of a volcano or an island in grade school.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast