Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heavy Metal Dungeons

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    These are fantastic, Lukc! The purple worm is stupendous! How do you go about drawing something like that?
    I started with a sketch of a purple worm bursting out of the ground, then did a few rough cross-sections in 2D of how the floors would look and work, then I broke out another sheet of paper, hand-lined an isometric grid on it, drew the whole thing in pencil, went over it with three thicknesses of letraset pens, erased most of the pencilwork, scanned the thing, added the text, added a paper texture and ... there you have it.

I actually cheated on the isometric bit, since I started at the top, I just fitted in lower levels as I could Oh, and I did the outside staircase first.

Me too, but they're horrible to draw!

the big dwarf thing does look familiar

Nice Job!

Really? Where from? As far as I recall, I drew it without looking at any references ... I'm going to have to draw a new one anyway, since my players have been naughty and gone through all my dungeons. Grumble grumble.

Hahaha, oh, incredible. You're right, it *is* similar. The gorge, the enveloping mountains, the little lake, etc.

No, I've never seen *that* map before! I just fired up Illustrator and started playing around, trying some stuff and trying to see what I could get out of it!

made me laugh a little

Sometimes you're just pressed for time ... well, I am anyway. So ... I set myself 1 hour to prepare all the dungeons I'm going to use for today's D&D session. I really should have listened to speed metal for this, but, well, I used this instead: Ayreon's album Actual Fantasy. The result: a bunch of quick and rough dungeons designed for adding pencil and pen notes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speed Dungeons 1-01.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	40595

Name:	Speed Dungeons 1-02.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	40596

Name:	Speed Dungeons 1-03.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	40597

I would add more notes, but I have to run and walk the dog, then off to a meeting. Will comment more later.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123