Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Metal Dungeons

Wip Heavy Metal Dungeons

All contain stout bearded men (dwarves) and a lot of heavy metal (iron golems). Anyway, joking around, I felt inspired by some of the maps here, so I've set about making a dungeon map for my gaming group. We run rules lite, death heavy games without miniatures and all that new-fangled junk ... which is why I used hexes, so nobody would get the idea that they have to be very "precise" about the dimensions of various rooms and such.

All comments welcome ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon of Bodom-01.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	690.1 KB 
ID:	38889

Happy October everyone!

Looks really good so far Lukc. Haven't really messed with dungeon maps yet myself so can't offer much in the way of constructive feedback, but I do like the simplicity, clean lines and colors of the map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

I like the style and side comments.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Hehe, the side comments are there just to let me and you know what I still have to do ... but you're right, hand-written notes are quite charming. I'm tempted to hand-write all the map labels, in fact. Maybe in my poor minuscule, even.

Here it is, pretty much finished off (I've left off the deep mines and such ... not enough room on this kind of scale). I haven't included doors and the likes, I prefer to make them up pretty much as we go along, since I'm a very "wing it" kind of DM. And here's a little song to get the players in the right mood while they're hacking and slashing: Children of Bodom: Are You Dead Yet?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon of Bodom-01-reduced.jpg 
Views:	3088 
Size:	772.8 KB 
ID:	38909

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very cool and a simple style that many find hard to achieve, including me. Good stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks great.. began on a dwarves dungeon for a challenge once, never gotten around to finish it though... I like the clean and crisp look of it
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I'll see if it works when I print it out ... otherwise I might just use it onscreen.

Good work. I really dig the old-school-ness and the overall design. The ancient ruins hinting at alien shapes is pretty cool.

Small issue: The callouts (text label areas) don't seem to be working with the rest of it for me. I think it is the clean white vs. all the yellows and browns of the map itself.
    Are you going to show a player version, and a DM/GM version? If so the labels are not such a big deal as I expect they are for your eyes only...

I'm thinking of leaving it as just a DM/GM version, but I agree with the callouts ... fiddled around quite a bit, but ... maybe I should just make all the text white and use a fatter font. Maybe go with a bold for all of the texts. I'll give it a try and post it after ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast